AR Buffer Tube Assembly

Being new to AR mods, I understand that it’s going to require a buffer tube in order to add a brace, does it also require a seperate buffer spring be purchased, or does it already come with 1 that can be reutilized? :thinking:

8 Likes

I believe the pistol tubes usually come as a ‘kit’ with buffer and spring. Although they can be are separated as with a rifle tube and are not as unit. I don’t have one or a brace, nor do I intend to even if this ban is struck down.

10 Likes

What type of stock do you currently have, if its collapsible then it should also be separable and you’ll find you’re set, if its a traditional stock, has the but door storage trap I don’t think you can separate the tube from it, haven’t handled one in awhile to be certain but pretty sure.

9 Likes

The buffer weight is the paramount issue. Too light or too heavy will cause cyclic problems.

he buffer tube has nothing to do with the brace. You can to have the tube and spring so the rifle can cycle.

8 Likes

Kinda does when you need to attach the brace :yep:

9 Likes

That is my understanding too. If you want the pistol brace and a short barrel, but don’t want to SBR it, you’ll need a short pistol tube and a spring & buffer designed for it.

I’m not a lawyer, nor a industry pro so…

9 Likes

I didn’t interpret this as a legal question, just one of function, many braces are cheap, they just clamp onto the existing rifle buffer tube as is, its of course ridiculous to consider a brace makes a pistol somehow scarier, it does not, but it does erode minds, makes them more pliable to restrictive laws and loss of freedoms.

How long before an AR pistol with a foam cover on the tube is an offense, considered to “brace” the recoil against your shoulder, making you a criminal :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

If you have the standard collapsible stock on your AR, all you would need to do is remove the stock from the tube and replace with the brace (like the SBA3 or SBA4). If you have a fixed stock rifle, you will need the buffer tube with corresponding spring and buffer. If you are converting an existing .223/5.56, the standard spring and buffer should suffice since the conversion has no effect on the gas system.

7 Likes

There are braces that go on a pistol buffer tube. There are braces that go on a carbine buffer tube. I don’t think there are any designed to go on a rifle length buffer tube. The really short pistol buffer tubes are not designed for a brace.
Most of the buffer tubes that can be used with braces take standard carbine buffers and springs.

9 Likes

Don’t some have a simple set screw to tighten, what would keep those from fitting?

8 Likes

If you are planning on building a pistol with short barrel, i would advise you wait till this new rule is overturned and it will be. but when is another story. if you are planning on puttin a brace on a 16 inch barrel, then my question would be why?

Rifle will be to heavy to hold without shouldering it, so if you are going to shoulder it might well put a regular or collapsible stock on it.

Caliber will effect the spring and buffer you need too. 5.56 will use any regular rifle tube and spring. If you already have a gun with the tube, spring and buffer in it, then they make braces that go on those. as mentioned, they make braces to go on the regular rifle tubes and ones for the plain round ones.

I am in the process of converting two pistols into SBR’s, just waiting on the approval, one of mine had a plain round tube so i had to replace it with a rifle tube to put a stock on, the other has the gearhead tail hook brace and it has a proprietary tube. it will not work on regular stocks so i had to change that. All i need is the ok and all i have to do is put the stock on and vertical grip.

I strongly suggest you look at the AR pistol laws and rules before proceeding. they are a whole different breed and are restricted to some things that regular rifles are not.

Now, will the ATF break in your doors just to find your pistol with a brace on it? probably not. can you get in trouble if caught shooting it at a range? that would depend on where you live, here in Arkansas the cops ain’t gonna do nothing, But i still wouldn’t take the chance. if you live in a blue state then you may have a problem.

You can also build the pistol and leave the brace off for now and apply for the free tax stamp. then you can do anything you want to it, with that being said you will go their registration, but i am on it already several times so putting two more on it didn’t matter to me.

also it was a no brainer for me as shooting an AR pistol with no arm brace is about impossible and very awkward. But just check on the pistol brace rules and building of one and you be the judge. Is all this rules they make unconstitutional? damn right it is, but sitting in prison knowing it, is a whole different story. best not to take a chance and let the courts overturn it.

My two cents worth

9 Likes

In the new ban this state is trying to pull off, there are no more pistols.
"All AR rifles under 30 inches are banded.
Thats every pistol.

Hey Beltfed, they dont give a rats fuzzy behind about the constitution.

8 Likes

Mum is the word . Is what I say . They have to know ya have it first. If ya bought it at a FFL sell it . Then buy another from a private individual.

8 Likes

The left wing weirdo’s never did.

8 Likes

This is correct and there are 3 lengths to consider. Rifle, carbine, pistol. All 3 can be bought as kits or separately as components. All 3 buffer tubes are different lengths and if bought as components (tube, spring, and buffer bought separately) they need to be paired accordingly.

8 Likes

Dang we screwed up, only have rifle, rifle, and rifle. With flat springs.
You need a flat spring, they only make them in one size, rifle.
Now I have to go take the woman’s a part and see how long it is.
I thought that was her job :yum:

6 Likes

80%

8 Likes

The rifle length tubes could be used w/the original blade brace as they have a little set screw. The rifle tube is a bit longer and has an end designed for a wrench to tighten it into the receiver.
Most folks building a pistol want shorter not longer.

9 Likes

Would 10.5" barrel count as a carbine buffer assembly, & is another spring/kit required for proper function? :thinking:

9 Likes

They say “Knowledge is power”, I’ve always enjoyed “arcane knowledge”, & I try to be fairly knowledgeable…:sunglasses:

8 Likes