AR or AK

5 Likes

I picked the AR but they both have their strengths and weaknesess. The big advantage for an ar is everything is interchangeable. The old AK’s were not the most accurate but they have them down now.

Another big advantage for the AK is it will run with a receiver full of mud. The AR is easier to carry cause of the sling systems. The mags are more compact but then again there’s that will fire no matter the circumstance for the AK.

Their both a blast to shoot, I don’t want to give up either, and I sure don’t want to be on the receiving end of either one of their projectiles.

7 Likes

Karl and Ian would disagree with you on that one, LOL. Their mud test of the AK and AR had the AR smoking the AK in a mud test.

I like both but for a fighting rifle/go-to rifle the AR is my first choice. Better ergo’s, reliable, lighter when properly set up, carry more ammo for the same weight, inherently more accurate, easier to get parts and repair, etc…

Ultimately though it is user preference.

7 Likes

IMHO and I like the AK:
The only reason to own an AK over an AR was the price.
That ship sailed.

6 Likes

The stock on an AK don’t fit me worth a darn. The magpul stocks make one much better to shoulder.

4 Likes

Yea, The AR is sealed up pretty tight and beats the AK in mud. Overall, I do consider the AK more rugged and reliable though ,but the AR15 is no slouch. I still prefer the AR for all the reason’s Retpara stated above.

AR15:
Lighter
Can carry more ammo
modular and easy to repair/work on.
Readily available parts and ammo.
Slick ergonomics
Accurate

AK:
Simple
rugged
Ammo is cheaper to buy in bulk

Pick your poison

Mud tests:

AR15s getting beat on:

5 Likes

That was a great set of videos.

4 Likes

LOL, don’t know where they live but I’d call that a soup test, maybe malto meal, but certainly not mud

5 Likes

They were representing the trench warfare mud of WW-1

5 Likes

Our mud is not that thick, its more watery. Florida swamp mud is probably alot thicker.

4 Likes

I like the inrange stuff. Sometimes I get the feeling they might be bias but the tests are still pretty neutral, imo.

@Chuparosa , have you seen these? These guys take purty surplus rifles muddin.

7 Likes

Should I watch that? Seems wrong to do that to a historical artifact. :frowning:

6 Likes

it will probably make your teeth cringe then lol

6 Likes

That hurt to watch a garand like that.lol One advantage for me on the AR is comfort. an AK stock is to short for me. I will say the magpul stocks make them a lot better. Another advantage is the selector switch position and operation. The AK is awkward to manipulate.

4 Likes

I have this on ours. It helps. Trap door still works too.

I run these too

4 Likes

I progressed AK47 to VZ 58 to Kel Tec RFB ( hey some times you got to go off the rails) to AR15 back to VZ 58 then AR15 and Now AR10.

AK has the dumbest safety on earth and no last round bolt hold open.

5 Likes

What kind of AR10?

4 Likes

2a Armament Xanthos Lite. Complete custom build. I wanted a .308 at less than 7.5 lbs (bare) without sacrificing reliability. So selected top shelf items for every aspect. Came out with a rifle that is right at 6 lbs naked. So shot well under my personal weight goal.

5 Likes

Yugo M64 U.S. nomenclature.
“M70A” in former Yugoslavia has a physical BHO.

6 Likes

wtf @Glockshooter79 ?

dispelling all of our AK hating myths :ak47::ak47::ak47::ak47: ak ak aka ak

4 Likes