AR or AK

RetPara:

Other than caliber, are there any significant differences between the AR15 and the AR10?

5 Likes

Theres plenty of proprietary parts but the design is the same.

5 Likes

JohnB The biggest difference that sticks out in my mind is weight the AR-10 is going to weigh more comparing simerly outfitted rifles.

7 Likes

There is also two different types of AR10s, The Armalite and the DPMS. The differences are small but they do take different magazines.

6 Likes

The general design and operating principles are the same but plenty of differences in the details.

7 Likes

thanks for your feedback, jf89, SAK67, and RetPara.

So, AR10 is more proprietary/less standardized than the AR15. The AR10 (generally) weighs more than the AR15. And, the AR10 supports higher-power calibers (.308, et al).

I can see where someone would go with the AR15 if just for defense. And the AR10 for hunting of animals larger than with AR15.

So, all depends on purpose/need.

8 Likes

The DPMS pattern is much more common but the Armalite pattern was/is used by the military (supposedly). I think most of the market is going towards the DPMS though, if I was vuying one I would go with the DPMS pattern (but not an actual DPMS rifle). The Aero Precision M5 is probably the best bang for your buck.

4 Likes
9 Likes

I like that camo pattern.

6 Likes

thanks for the info, jf89.

So, how do you know which pattern a particular AR10 is using?

And, why did/does the military use the Armalite pattern (especially when the DPMS pattern is more popular for the civilian users)?

3 Likes

Im not sure but mags and BCGs are different. Im not that much of an AR10 guy, Im more into the poodle shooters. I will say that my Armalite seemed alot better built then most any DPMS ive ever seen. The nicest AR10 ive ever handled was an LMT MWS.

4 Likes

Not to also mention the DPMS g2, mega arms, and POF revolution- all “AR-10 DPMS/SR-25 mag well guns” that are the size and weight of an AR-15 firing the.308 Winchester cartridge and alike! It gets confusing!

4 Likes

Isnt the SR25 an Armalite rifle? Or is that the Knights Armament one? I cant keep track of all the letters and numbers lol

4 Likes

You are lucky! And I hate using the term best, but LMT I can let it have that title.

4 Likes

Knights armament model.

5 Likes

The LMT is nice, I mightve liked shooting it more than a SCAR H :open_mouth:

5 Likes

thanks everyone for all the info and advice on AR10’s

3 Likes

Found some good info you might like here

9 Likes

Im not in the market for one right now but that is pretty informative. What way did you go for your AR10 build?

4 Likes

Mine is the DPMS Gen 1 pattern but I havent progressed beyond still buying parts,

although with two BETA mags I am considering building twins :heart_eyes:

5 Likes