AR or AK

That’s not been my experience, at 100+ yards you can watch a .223 fly and they don’t travel so straight as you’d guess

For plinking cost I’d agree though :grin:

6 Likes

How much would it cost to make it 4, asking for a friend?

5 Likes

So much that goes into accuracy. One barrel or receiver will like one bullet over another. Chrome lined or Melanite? Good heat treat or bad? Gas guns guns add a whole other layer. The importance of timing and gas volume almost require an adjustable gas system. I have seen identical builds by the same builder perform completely differently. Face the receiver adjustable gas block, and poof new gun. 224 in a bolt gun can be made accurate to 800 yards pretty easily, but that will tend to be for a particular high BC bullet. Once they hit transonic they can go sideways on you.

308 is even easier and they do better in the wind generally and with the shorter low BC nullets are more predictable going tranny of course the rainbow arc is what is. I love the 308 win. Varmints to Moose. It is hands down the most versatile case and caliber.

Must say the 6.8/277 is pretty versatile too, but in 2 different cases. The SPC II and now the Western which is just a improved 270 WSM.

6.5/264 and .338 have their fans too, but I agree with Robert… Only one caliber? It would be the 30.

6 Likes

As this is the AR or AK topic i assumed we were talking .233/5.56 and 7.62x39 taking that into consideration my response stands .22 for accuracy and .30 for knock down.
62gr for .233 and 123gr for 7.62x39.

7 Likes

6.5 for the win.

6 Likes

I’ve heard current military doctrine is that causing casualties are better than deaths, because then the enemy expends some manpower caring for the wounded. Then it sounds like small bullets were designed for the battlefield. Bigger bullets that hit harder might be better for private defense.

But that’s just bullets. I like the modularity and accuracy of the AR platform better.

8 Likes

“I can only have one semi auto rifle for the rest of my life? It would be my Americanised Vepr in 308Win.”

Lol

5 Likes

I think 6.5 is the perfect medium.

6 Likes

That’s what i said.

6 Likes

And I agree

6 Likes

Have you ever seen a left hand charge, slide in mag, quality trigger, modular vepr ?

8 Likes

"I can only have… "

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Left hand charge nope. Quality trigger? Yep. The Americanized version below has a Power Custom Trigger. In fact the all of the FCS is Power Custom. I love that trigger. It is one of the best we have here. The ‘bolt hold open’ Krebs Custom Mk VI Enhanced Safety can operated w/o taking your hand off the grip. The KN adjustable gas system is so well tuned the brass doesn’t even get the AK ding. The last pic is it’s original import twin. The second is it folded (Bone Steel Folder).

7 Likes

“If” I could only have one for the rest of my life… It would be nice to have a 308 Win cold hammer forged barrel. Being a DBM fed semi auto is obviously a plus. Nearly perfect reliability no matter how dirty it gets, and can fire when folded? Definitely pluses. There are others we have that are tempting, but none that does exactly what that Russian refugee does…

8 Likes

Not to say that I don’t prefer our AR systems like the Aero/ARP 6.8 SPC ll’s or the Seekins TAC6 or the Aero 223Ws or the even the ‘no name’ range beaters because they are modular. Because I do. I much prefer building and working on ARs.

7 Likes

Ar or ak?

This about arkansas and alaska

8 Likes

:headache:

8 Likes

202009251013-200w

8 Likes

Why would I bother when I have an AR,the only alternatives that are worth it are the FAL platform , CZ Bren or A Scar. They at least are kewl. The vepr is a pig with lipstick. :hushed:

6 Likes

Really you haven’t been here in a month and already got out your spoon to stir the pot. Good to see you back

6 Likes