AR15 question.

Okay! I want to take a quick poll of what AR-15 rifles all of you think are the best in both piston and gas tube configuration.

Here is the catch, you answer what AR you think is the best of both gas and piston type and then answer if you own them, have shot them, or if you just like that company. Don’t forget to give some reasoning no matter how vague.

7 Likes

DI - probably LWRC but I dont own one. The BCG is the seller for me. I dont like full ambi controls but it has them and thats generally considered “better”.

Piston - either PWS or LWRC or HK416 (shot all of them but never owned them). PWS uses the long stroke and just seems like a solid design. The HK and LWRC are battle proven designs that went through rigorous testing. Their piston operation is completely different , more harsh but built for reliability.

My favorite is Sons of Liberty Gun Works , ARs are easy to tailor to your needs so grouping them all together is kind of rough, imo.

4 Likes

100% and I did own one

also built an Adams piston once, added unnecessary weight

5 Likes

Its really shallow of me but the only things I dont like are the proprietary rail and spiral fluted barrel.

MLOK cured the rail issue for me but the barrel just bugs me. It so ugly , imo. I am suprised they dont get more love for thier DI stuff though.

5 Likes

I don’t know about piston guns,

JP Enterprises for gas guns. Can’t afford one. I have shot one. They are high quality rifles and they are aesthetically pleasing. I use their parts on my guns.

6 Likes

All good answers! I hope you get a LWRC someday.

Do you own an SOLGW AR?

4 Likes

Yeah that system will do that.

4 Likes

Well that’s cool JP isn’t far from me. What AR did you put JP parts on?

4 Likes

Yea, its been in pieces for awhile though. I assembled the lower and bought an upper/barrel assembly then added pieces as I went.

4 Likes

A Wilson, a Troy, and a Springfield

6 Likes

That’s cool! I can’t wait for you to finish it! And take pictures of it!

4 Likes

Nice! What parts did you use or like the most from JP?

2 Likes

Two of my favorites are my lmt and bcm di. The lmt is one of the smoothest operating ar15s I’ve shoot. The bcm has been smooth, reliable and with the mid-length gas system it’s such a soft shooter.

5 Likes

The only piston system I own so far is the Tavor. I always stayed away from the the ar piston set up (in their early days/retrofits) because of the stories of unreliability and it not being designed for a piston thus being problematic. I know the bugs have long been worked out & they are good to go now. I’m interested in this thread for the purpose of a future build because I feel the piston system is a cleaner running & better set up.

7 Likes

Piston is CMMG cuz that’s what I have and it runs great. DI I built all of mine except the Alexander Arms but it’s in Beowulf.

5 Likes

Well! Now that I don’t have to answer because you just did. I agree BCM and LMT are extremely nice in my opinion.

5 Likes

In some cases it is “better” but in the end it’s relative. I own 4 piston AR-15 rifles and they run very well. The one difference that other forum members have already brought up is
1: they are heavier, that just goes with the design.
2: they do often have a sharper felt recoil.

They can certainly hold up to high rates of fire when built properly and now days be extremely reliable.

4 Likes

I thought for sure you would mention your Sig barrel build.
Good choices and yeah when your a builder most of them will be built.

4 Likes

Gas tube just showed up today for the 2nd Sig barrel build. Actually my favorite is the 12in Grendel pistol. That is a fun little gun.

5 Likes

I’m an AR noob so I like this topic.

6 Likes