Are militias worth joining?

I have to say my neighbors are great. We get along with all of them. We have been here almost 20 years. My wife and I are at 51 years of age the youngest on our road and everyone here looks out for each other. Why just yesterday I ran a group of Mexicans out of my neighbors yard. He has bamboo on the edge of his property and they had pulled across a ditch and dug trenches where their min van almost got stuck. I asked if they had permission to take the bamboo knowing full well Mister Bill doesn’t care. I told them to get their van out of his yard and then brought a shovel over and made them fix the ruts. They just left without doing anything,
I gave Bill their car tag number and he called the law. Police made them come back out there and fix the yard or face trespassing charges. After that Bill told them to get all the bamboo they wanted but to park on the street.
As far as militias, its something I have never thought of but I really don’t like the idea. I have heard from others that they are all on watch list and don’t care to be on one myself

5 Likes

Seriously sorry to hear what you have to deal with. When I was in the military and the wife and I lived off post at Bragg it was interesting to say the least. We lived in a nice cul-de-sac that initially was very nice. Well kept houses and everyone there was the actual home owner. Over time, as people PCS’d, we started getting more and more renters, drug dealers, break-ins, domestic disturbances, etc…, in the neighborhood. It was finally capped off one night when one of our neighbors next door was shot and his truck stolen. The wife and I had just walked in the house after visiting him, his wife and some of his friends (he was working on his harley and since we both rode I as over helping turn wrenches). I grabbed my M1 Garand and went out to watch his truck tearing down the road. His buddies were applying a pressure dressing and we called the cops. Long story short, his truck was found, the punks were never caught, and I told the wife that when I retired we were moving out into the sticks and God help anyone who screwed with me.

Overall my “neighbors” are good people. Nobody snoops or causes drama. We watch each other’s property when someone is out of town. Everyone owns dogs and livestock so any strangers in the valley sets off the animals, LOL. Best off all, pretty much everyone in the valley owns firearms so the sounds of shooting on the weekend is pretty normal.

With that said, every once in awhile we do get trouble makers who cruise around our part of the woods clearly casing homes and property looking for a score or someone dumping trash on one of ours property. The trash dumping though has pretty much stopped since I stopped the last dude that pulled that stunt and calmly explained we didn’t appreciate outsiders dumping their garbage in our neck of the woods. Pretty sure the pistol on my side and the AR in my SxS reinforced that point with him and his buddy, LOL.

6 Likes

I hope your neighbor survived the gunshot. It’s terrible that somone would shoot someone just to take their truck for a few hours, or any reason for that matter.

3 Likes

RA, you have a couple of serious nut job for neighbors, Don’t know if would have been as nice as ya’ll.

6 Likes

Luckily he was winged in a arm with no serious damage. That night taught me a valuable lesson though. Trouble is almost always when you don’t expect it. That’s why, even living where I live, a firearm is nearby when in the house and I carry when working outside.

5 Likes

Our closest neighbors are a half mile on eather side of us. I might talk to them three or four times a year but we help keep their cattle in and will call each other if something. Is happening.

4 Likes

I always start off my not being able to remember my name. Then I mumble shit about witnesses protection.
We don’t talk much after that.

3 Likes

You might consider coming to Idaho with @Chuparosa ‘s clan and @EQuinn & I.
We’ll start a Full30 network compound and have each other’s backs to ride out any SHTF situation.

With enough of us we can run for office and keep the state free. While there’s still time.

5 Likes

:joy::rofl::smiley:

2 Likes

you wearing any particular brand hat or robe when discussing this?

2 Likes

I like smart phones. Just not this particular smart ass phone. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

its all fun and games until your phone gets you on “the list”

3 Likes

Mister%20Torgue%20Approves%20(Orange)

5 Likes

I’ll have to take a look at Idaho. We still haven’t decided where we are going. Where ever it is, it has to have trees taller than my house.

As far as running for office, I have a squeeky clean background, nothing in my yearbooks to come back and haunt me, and I was a cocktail waitress so I’m sure I am qualified.

Oh, and I did inhale, but I didn’t enjoy it.

5 Likes

@Chuparosa (et al)

This could get really cool if we get enough of us all in one free state.

I will take a serious look at Idaho. Please tell me again, what part to look at?

Thanks!

3 Likes

@JohnB

The final two areas are circled below that my wife and I are considering the most. An area northeast of Boise and around the Coeur d’Alene area mostly. But there is Fairfield, Mackay, Salmon and Montpelier that were previously considered but ruled out due to lack of a metro area to commute to (if needed) within 1.5 hours.

Finalists!

NE of Boise:
Idaho City
Cascade (maybe if we can stretch it)
Horseshoe Bend
Sweet

Area in and around Coeur d’Alene + east down I90:
Saint Maries
Harrison
Santa
Worley
Sandpoint
Cataldo
Mullan

4 Likes

@Chuparosa

Thank you very much!

Since my wife is more of a big city girl, I may have to focus more on Boise, but will look around the areas you circled, too.

2 Likes

Have a week long party with the guys.
They’ll move.

4 Likes

Take a look at Coeur d’Alene (CDA). It’s part of the Spokane metro area. Spokane is ~30 miles from CDA. I’d prefer CDA over Boise if I’m honest. But either is better than the shithole state I live in. Haha.

3 Likes

@Chuparosa

Thanks, will do.

2 Likes