At this rate Virginia may never have a governor

If you ever did anything fun during the 80’s don’t expect to be governor.

6 Likes

There should be some appreciation in the liberal ranks for being the epitome of “Muck-rakers”. Trying to besmirch the honor of men in public service by mining the lives of people before the age of accountability. Shame on them. Perhaps it is time to remove the cloak of decency and civility to engage the attackers, who I am certain, have skeletons in their closets.

2 Likes

Tbf, Virginia has a governor - and I suspect that the Democrats, to their very great embarrassment, will do their utmost to prop up either Governor Northam and/or Lieutenant-Governor Fairfax for as long as they possibly can.

Why?

Well, to quote the Constitution of Virginia [Article 5, Section 16]:

If a vacancy exists in the office of Lieutenant Governor when the Lieutenant Governor is to succeed to the office of Governor or to serve as Acting Governor, the Attorney General, if he is eligible to serve as Governor, shall succeed to the office of Governor for the unexpired term or serve as Acting Governor. If the Attorney General is ineligible to serve as Governor, the Speaker of the House of Delegates, if he is eligible to serve as Governor, shall succeed to the office of Governor for the unexpired term or serve as Acting Governor. If a vacancy exists in the office of the Speaker of the House of Delegates or if the Speaker of the House of Delegates is ineligible to serve as Governor, the House of Delegates shall convene and fill the vacancy.

And the GOP have the majority, and therefore the speakerships, of both houses.

After all, to most politicians, the only thing worse than having a dishonorable member of their own party holding office is an honorable member of their opponents’ party holding office.

Otherwise, why else did WaPo hold back the allegations against Fairfax? It is only because a couple of right-wing outlets separately reported portions of this story that any of this came out at all.

That said, I generally am not in favour of holding decades old behaviour against people today (although there will always be exceptions) - the biggest argument against Northam over this issue (as distinct from his appalling comments regarding abortion) is hypocrisy, given the campaign that he ran.

Additionally, I think the allegations against Fairfax should be treated as allegations in the absence of corroborating evidence. If the allegations against him are true, then even if his original accuser cannot provide such evidence, it is likely that he will have behaved towards other women in a similar manner.

1 Like

If what Fairfax is said to have done is true wouldnt that be rape?

1 Like