ATF Admits No Legal Authority For Bump Stock Ruling

If someone worked in law enforcement, or other government fields where someone might decide to make an example of them and just the charge is enough to mess up their career, and they had spent time talking about bump stocks online and posted pictures of their rifle with a bump stock on it…

I could see where somebody like that may decide that it would be safer for them to either turn it in and get a receipt for turning it in, or destroy it and document it’s destruction with photos or video.

The internet isn’t as anonymous as some people think (unless you are really paranoid and keep your personal security in mind with every single post you have ever made). On another gun forum, I have made enough references to past jobs, that feds could likely connect the dots and come up with my name, date of birth, social security number, current address, and current place of employment. Heck, yesterday, a fed stopped by during lunch and talked to me for a while - asked how my daughter was doing, if I had finally finished everything with the new house, etc.

I didn’t consider buying a bump stock until I saw what other people had been doing with them on rifles with bipods, tweaking them to make them easier to use and fire accurately. I didn’t get around to buying one before the NRA called for the ATF to take another look at tightening the regulation of bump stocks, and by then it seemed likely that attempting to buy one would involve dealing with another gun buying panic, so I gave up on buying one. If I had bought one, I would probably have been very leery of mentioning it online.

1 Like

Quite certain its 180 from being anonymous

this bumpstock thing was/is purely political

just crazy to think they’re people too huh? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

yeah, could be a red flag visit earned

Financial records of whoever bought one online can be traced IF the ATF and Government really wanted to get them out of circulation…or as many as possible. A Court Subpoena could get the records, may take awhile for it to go through court system, but if they were really serious they would be doing it. IF anyone did actually destroy or turn in ? I would bet most are regretting it…

2 Likes

It gets worse. He was my roommate for a few months in college.

A coworker has a friend that is an FBI agent. They’ve known each other since high school. I met the agent when he stopped by the shop to visit the coworker, years ago.

1 Like

Digital/data records likely easier

1 Like

No need to get a court order to lurk in public forums.

1 Like

no need to even participate

https://gab.com/ATF

3 Likes