Basic ballistics class

OK, I’m working on my assignment for this week and need someone to help with this. Please answer below.

Interview someone who is experienced with firearms. Ask this person to explain trajectory, wind drift, recoil, velocity, and accuracy. In addition, ask this person to provide at least two examples

4 Likes

Would a JFK report be wrong?

2 Likes

Ya, that’s not going to help me much.

2 Likes

But there’s a lot of trajectory, wind drift, recoil, velocity, and accuracy involved…

and a grassy knoll

5 Likes

Okay, I’m no expert, but this would be my understanding of the terms as according to ME put as succinctly as possible :wink:

Trajectory: the path a bullet takes from muzzle to target.

Wind drift: the amount of deviation of the bullet right or left of the desired point of impact as affected by wind.

Recoil: the amount of energy directed back towards the shooter as a result of firing a bullet.

Velocity: the speed the bullet travels from muzzle to target.

Accuracy: the ability to repeatedly hit the desired target location.

7 Likes

Now, did they want two examples (dealers choice)? Or two examples for each term?

3 Likes

Pew pew thingy make loud boom.

Pointy thing go fast.

Pointy thing get pulled down by gravity and pushed by the wind.

Gooder pew pew things hit smaller things more better.

Aim higher for farther targets. Aim differently based on environmental conditions.

(Edit: fixing an autocorrect)

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I do believe two examples of each, but I’m not sure how.

That was no help, other than it made me laugh. :smirk:

5 Likes

You said basic! Do you need me to get more basic?

Fast pew pews are super shooty at tiny things.

5 Likes

In all seriousness, we could hop on a video chat and turn this into a video.

5 Likes

It would, but I’m kind of neck deep in school work right now. So far finished reading two chapters, finished two papers, with one more to go. Finished one quiz with one more to go. And this is just the first week.

4 Likes

This guy has a 25 video series on ballistics and long rang shooting.

5 Likes

Here is the description for that video off youtube.

" 1. Internal Ballistics – and all the possible factors that cause variations in either MV or in Point of Aim as the bullet begins its motion and how to correct for them.
• We will discuss the nature of propellants and how they affect projectile movement / pressures
• We will discuss different factors that can affect the MV of a projectile
o Variations in ammunition / reloading tips / non-uniformities – propellant moisture, primer seating, bullet seating, case dimensions, powder weight, orientation of grains in a case, projectile weight/profile, etc…
o Tolerances in different weapons
o How bore wear affects muzzle velocity
o Propellant Temperatures
o Projectile and Bore Temperatures
o Coppering
o Powder Fowling
o Bore conditioning and barrel memory
• We will talk about how other factors can cause the axis of the bore at the breech to differ slightly from the axis of the bore at the muzzle
o Muzzle Jump variations due to inconsistent rifle deployment – bipods vs sandbags, deployment and marksmanship techniques
o Whip action - harmonics
o Deflections due to muzzle break pull-off.
o Other tips

1. Intermediate ballistics – we will mention how suppressors effect the transition of the projectile from internal progression to external flight

2. External Ballistics – is the science of all the factors that affect the flight path of the projectile after its exits the muzzle.
    • We will discuss everything you will need to know: how changes in ambient air temperature, humidity and barometric pressure affect the bullet. We will talk about wind, how to set up Microsoft excel to make corrections for coreolis effect, how and why spin drift occurs and much much more.

3. Terminal Ballistics – is the study of what happens once the projectile arrives at its destination.

After this we will show you how to get through the nightmare of all these constantly changing and varying complexities with TiborasaurusRex’s improved system of field expedient ballistic tables. "

4 Likes

I’ll give it a try with a couple of terms…maybe someone else can help out as well.

Wind drift: a bullet is fired from a rifle; as it is traveling toward the intended target a gust of wind traveling from left to right across the bullets path strikes the bullet pushing it off course and causing it to impact 10 inches to the right of the intended target.

Velocity: a bullet is fired from a rifle; as it leaves the muzzle, it is traveling at its maximum speed. As it continues towards the target it’s energy decreases due to multiple factors, causing the speed of the bullet to decrease until it eventually comes to a stop, at which point, it has no remaining velocity.

3 Likes

Took my ballistics quiz. Nearly aced it. Stupid trick question got me. Sad thing is I even looked right at magazine and it didn’t click. I knew all the terms, and what it was, but magazine got me.

2 Likes

Got to love those trick questions…they’re relying on the fact that you’re under time pressure and hoping you’ll mentally fill in the term without actually reading it…

3 Likes

I would agree with all of that except for Accuracy. To me that is a measurement of variation between points of impact of a bullet given that all the other variable are held in check. So how big is your grouping with the same barrel, same powder load, same wind conditions, etc.

3 Likes

And to me, I would define that as “precision” vs accuracy. But I have been wrong before :wink:

2 Likes

You know what, that is correct. Precision is how close they are. Accuracy is how close they are to the target. I stand corrected.

5 Likes