Basic ballistics class

Two examples of each?

Trajectory. #1: The path an object in motion follows. On Earth a parabolic curve. In space a straight line (Newton’s First Law) unless it encounters a nearby mass.

Trajectory #2: The reason I overshot the deer because I misjudged the distance.

Wind drift #1: Also according to Newton’s First Law the wind acting on a bullet in flight causes it to move downwind.

Wind drift #2. The reason I shot in front of the deer because I didn’t compensate for wind.

Recoil #1: According to Newton’s Third Law the force required to push a bullet is equal to the force placed back on the shoulder.

Recoil #2: The reason I missed that %$#^@% deer is because I flinched in anticipation of the shot. I’m gonna sell this damned .30-378 Weatherby!

Velocity #1: The speed at which an object moves in relation to a fixed observation point. Since the Earth is moving at 67,000 mph in an orbit around the Sun, and the solar system is moving at 515,000 mph in the spiral arm of the galaxy orbiting the central core, the 1,700 mph a bullet moves can be ignored as insignificant.

Velocity #2: The deer moved just as I shot and the bullet went where he had been. I need a faster shooting rifle.

Accuracy #1: I hit what I was shooting at.

Accuracy #2: I missed what I was shooting at.

5 Likes

Eghads man, that’s like asking for an explanation of Einstein’s theory of relativity in one easy lesson.

4 Likes