Batteries not included

I just wanted to know if any one else has taken into consideration the environment of a collapsed society, or maybe a more primitive one. In my time I have had the pleasure of working with some snipers mostly from the Vietnam war. During training exercises hours can pass and all you move is 100 yards and maybe get to range features during the creation of your range card. The point is in my experience it is difficult to rely on batteries. Case in point. Here is my wind meter. No batteries! Certain terrain has no flags or trees to read from and it’s nice to have something to work with. This will read 0-35 mph wind in increments of 1 mph. Food for thought I hope.

This is why I like using Iron sights alot when shooting. Its crazy how many people cant shoot for shit when their optic goes down.

I love analog/low tech. I navigate with hand bearing compasses and paper charts. And, being a lake sailor, I can pretty well judge wind speed from watching the water and things on shore.

But I have to say, I have never, when hunting, measured the wind with a mechanical or electrical device before taking a shot. Granted - I hunt and get close. But thereafter I rely on the hair in my ears, leaves, pollen, snow, grasses, etc. to gauge the wind direction and relative velocity. When you approach from downwind the crosswinds become less relevant. :wink:

The next step beyond not relying on batteries is to not rely on stuff. :love_you_gesture:

I’m all about the analog instruments. Don’t think, in a SHTF situation, you’re going to be able to just swing by Radio Shack for supplies. Although, i agree with Stumpkiller… I don’t measure the wind. I have seen it do crazy stuff with flags at the range. I load a heavy bullet and do my best to avoid the crosswind.

I honestly don’t mind having electronics on my kit. As much as I hate the term, electro-optics, lights, lasers, GPS, radio, all sorts of tactical toys are really good “force multipliers”. I always carry spares, and try to keep the batteries to a single type across the board. They’re not an issue as long as you keep your mind about it, just like you would anything else.

That is a pretty cool wind meter though, but I don’t see how it would be helpful at a distance. Yea, the wind where you are is important, but you have to make a wind call at the target too. Still, pretty neat.

I guess my question is going to be does any one train unconventionally any more?
@jf89 trains with iron sights and in this day and age I would say that is unconventional for rifle use, but it’s still a very valuable skill set, and I use them as well.
I haven’t used that wind gauge in 3 years, in my area there are trees everywhere and like @Stumpkiller and @KeithP I estimate and use a hold off. The wind gauge is a training tool. Like this

So is there anyone that uses unconventional methods,or tools that work in the field?

Yeah using electronic technology is a huge leg up and I will always use it. I feel that it is essential to not rely on it, so in the event of open circuits you have a Back up plan.

Iron sights are more fun anyways, maybe im just naturally primitive.:unamused: