Bead vs ALOX and Bead blasting

Having a discussion with a viewer on Full30 regarding my preference of blasting first with sand and then with bead vs just blasting with bead.

Was asked to take pics to show what I see as the difference. To me alox followed by bead results in a slightly more matte finish. I also have seen people mix alox and bead and Grainger even sells ALOXGLASS
https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/ALOXGLASS-Glass-Beads-Aluminum-Oxide-5W022

Here are the pics viewer asked for:

Just glass

Alox followed by glass

6 Likes

Both look good to me :grin:

4 Likes

Agreed, but there is a difference, though slight. Hopefully it is visible in the pics taken with a phone.

The alox and bead is “grainier”

5 Likes

I see it

but mine still looks like this

So they both look good :persevere:

3 Likes

Robert, I think you are missing a few parts :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing
@Robert you need some help

4 Likes

That is ever so slight of a difference. But yes there is a difference. What is the purpose of the ALOX in the media?

3 Likes

The Alox looks a bit shinier as well not sure if that’s just the lighting or not

5 Likes

Surprising. According to the anti-gun crowd this thing would have already finished itself and had a body count on it while you weren’t looking.

6 Likes

Alox is short for Aluminum Oxide. It is an abrasive media. The grains are sharp and cut away material being blasted.

Glad beads are round (when new) and they peen material rather than removing it.

4 Likes

Only on full moons after midnight, its a shape shifter :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Sorry, for some reason, I was thinking Alox was Lee Liquid Alox (for led cast bullets) and not Aluminum Oxide (I use that for my Cerakot blasting).

6 Likes

It is all good. I had no idea there was some other alox out there.

5 Likes

Turns out there’s alox of them :crazy_face:

4 Likes

there is a difference and the alox and bead finish would probably last longer at wear points.

4 Likes

I noticed that. I like the just glass one better.

3 Likes

I personally only use garnet or aluminum oxide. Glass bead leaves a raised edge from the dent. But there are so many techniques and everyone finds what they like.
Different pressure and orifice size can add interesting contrast between parts too.

4 Likes