Best .22LR Semiautos or Revolvers

I am looking to buy two .22LR handguns. Want one for concealed carry and one for target shooting, plinking, and hunting. What would you suggest and why? Thank you.

1 Like

I would get a S&W revolver for CC and get a Ruger 22/45 or S&W Victory for all the rest…Revolvers will always be more reliable in 22 and semi’s are just fun to burn ammo…

1 Like

Beretta tomcat. They are small enough to put in your front pocket. They have a long heavy trigger. They are still cheap. Most people don’t like them or care about them.

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with the Ruger mark 3 or 4 .

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your feedback and advice.

1 Like

Make sure you get a mini revolver chambered in .22 WMR. If you’re going to use it as a CCW you’ll want that extra punch from the .22 mag over the .22LR. Some have interchangeable cylinders for .22LR and .22 WMR.

.22 mag is a hoot to shoot.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mister_Torgue.

I have been thinking about getting one of the NAA mini revolvers (such as the sidewinder), in .22 mag. They have one with a 2.5 inch barrel - most likely get, and one with a 4 inch barrel (may get).

Yeah, I am a big .22 mag fan, so will include .22 mag in my .22 handgun collection, for sure.

2 Likes

That’s gonna be some fun.

1 Like

Mister_Torgue:

Agreed!

1 Like

Beretta 87 one sweet .22

1 Like

Thanks, Jraz. It looks like they don’t make them anymore (just visited their website). I remember them, though, and am sure you are right.

Have thought about their model 92 in .22 LR. Still thinking…

1 Like

friend of mine just got a sidewinder… he is not happy. cylinder is to small to operate with. prefers versions with simple removable one. I’m looking NAA revolver for myself. Pug or Black Widow (or both) in 22M/22LR. for just plinking , any pistol will be fun to shoot. Latest Rugers Mk4, Brownings etc. Some brands offer conversion kit for 22LR. I have it for Sig P226… works excellent.

2 Likes

My mark III has been flawless and accurate, eats anything.

3 Likes

thanks, sergetoll.

I am also thinking about the other models from NAA.

A friend of mine had a conversion kit. For what he spent, could have (almost) bought another gun.

Somehow, I just not interested in conversion kits (though I do like convertible revolvers).

1 Like

22LR is good for practice, 22Mag is better for carry

1 Like

sergetoll:

yeah, fairly big difference in the foot pounds of energy.

NAA makes .22 mag all the way out to 6 inch barrels. Not sure about the Hornady 45 grain .22 mag, but most .22 mag ammo is really (from what I have seen) for rifles. So, even with the extra energy, the bullet performance is not so good.

1 Like

3 Likes

What is the difference in velocity between the 22 lr and the magnum in short pistol and revolver barrels?
Enough to matter?

1 Like

g.willikers:

check out BBTI (Ballistics By The Inch).

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/

1 Like

58marine:

thanks for the video. Paul Harrell is good.

2 Likes