Birdshot through a pistol.

does anyone have experience shooting birdshot through a pistol? I looked through the search and couldn’t find any posts about it. I go through some areas with a lot of snakes. I was wondering if it is safe to shoot and doesn’t damage the riflings? I will post a link of the ammo as well.

10 Likes

Only variation I am familiar with is the old 22 birdshot. As I recall, it was effective on very small birds & chipmunk to about 10 feet, fairly wothlless. I’ve seen the larger caliber rounds, I wouldn’t hold much confidence in it for a snake round. Looked to have a very low shot count to expel. The Judge .410/45LC or similar would be a better choice in my opinion

10 Likes

I believe 22plinkster did a video on pistol birdshot and the results were pretty surprising…should be easy to find on YT…

11 Likes

I have some CCI .38 sp Birdshot I put in my snub when hiking
Never had to use one on a snake but the one I tried chewed up a hot dog good at 10 ft.

10 Likes

The 22 rimfire shot shells are about worthless. 38 spl and larger do ok to about 10-15 feet. It’s not going to hurt your barrel.

9 Likes

My uncle has reloaded his own 45 shotshells for years. He uses them to dispatch carpenter bees from an old house on his property. He waits until they hover in front of him and blasts them out of the air. So, no, you should not have an issue with them on a limited basis.

8 Likes

would have sworn a content provider just did one
and it turns out some wishful thinking (as I wish they would port over here)

9 Likes

Maybe it would go thru a plastic airsoft gun. Pretty sure a real pistol would stop most of it. Lol

8 Likes

I would expect a plastic airsoft pistol would not be happy doing that.
But if you want to try, I’ll hold your beer.

8 Likes

Go thru it.

8 Likes

Paul Harrell has multiple videos on birdshot for home defense. None of them are in a pistol. But he compares it to buck shot. This allows the viewer to see the obvious difference in birdshot to conventional.

7 Likes

I failed to mention that I have shot and killed a couple of snakes with 38 snake shot. You do have to be closer than a pistol chambered for .410, but it will do the trick.

9 Likes

I killed a good size rat w/CCI 22 birdshot shells. Took about 3 shots @ about 5 feet. He was almost 10" long without his tail.

9 Likes

Fill some milk jugs to get a sense of the pattern you will be shooting. I’ve only busted some fools hens with 357mag type bird shot. You do have to be close up to get a good hit.

9 Likes