Black powder guns, lets see em.

Thanks to Robert we have a new forum, and he done it really fast too.lol hopefully it will take off.

4 Likes

Now with the pics.

Picture1028171904_2

9 Likes

9 Likes

Lyman great plains and a 42 year old TC Senica

8 Likes

Those Lymans are really good rifles. Even though most states have the inline hunting now, those old sidelocks are hard to beat for fun. they also are not cheap anymore.

4 Likes

6 Likes

My babies.

First is a Mike Brooks English fowling smoothbore. 16 gauge with 42" Colerain Griffin swamped barrel and sunburst walnut stock. Seven pounds on the nose. This is my primary grouse and small game gun.

Second is a cherry stocked Jon Donelson Lehigh rifle. 44" .54 cal barrel. The iron trigger bow, buttplate and sideplate are forged from the iron straps off an old silo. Barrel is a L.C. Rice swamped "C profile

fullsizeoutput_d9

10 Likes

Those are something to be proud of. I bet they’re tack drivers too.

4 Likes

From my Dad also.

10 Likes

Is there any markings on that anywhere?

3 Likes

Yes Matching #'s too. Has some wear but in good shape otherwise.
If I get a chance I’ll photo the other marks.

3 Likes

Just some loading pics I had found.

9 Likes

Picked this up at the last show… reproduction but $50.00

10 Likes

About 50 yards

6 Likes

My Old Knight

Just so everyone knows, I’m a newbie to the muzzy world…

My father-in-law gave me his old 50cal ‘Knight’ muzzleloader two years ago. He retired from hunting nearly twenty years ago.

He killed one deer with it years ago with a single 80 yard shot, using #11 percussion cap, 90 grains of ‘Elephant Black Powder’ & Hornady .490cal lead round ball.

Anyhow, I used this muzzleloader in the original configuration that you see above, but never had the opportunity to take a shot at any deer with it as of yet.

I’ve used this muzzleloader twice and each time, I didn’t feel very confident with it.

I had a couple of issues with it firing in damp/cold conditions, which made me feel real uneasy.

So this year, I wanted to make some changes to the “Old Knight” and make it my own.

I did a lot of reading on the ‘Blackhorn 209 Muzzleloader Propellent/Powder’ and the 209 ignition systems for ‘Knight’ muzzleloaders.

After all the research, I had a good idea what I wanted to do so I went ahead and purchased the following items about a month ago.

• Grey, Black, White RUST-OLEUM Spray Paint
  • Snow Camo Quake Claw Sling with Swivels Nylon
  • Leupold 2-Piece Rifleman Scope Base Weaver-Style Knight LK-93
  • Leupold 1" Detachable Rifleman See-Thru Rings Weaver-Style
  • Butler Creek Scope Covers
  • Knight 209 Conversion Ignition System
  • Kick Eez Recoil Pad Grind to Fit 301-5-L-B All Purpose 1/2" Large Black
  • Williams Fire Sight Set Knight Rifle Red Bead Aluminim Black Fiber Optic Green
  • Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ Muzzleloading Bullet 50 Caliber Sabot with 45 Caliber PolymerTip Boat Tail Lead-Free Box of 24
  • Federal Premium Prinmers #209 Muzzleloading Box of 100
  • Blackhorn 209 Black Powder/Propellant 10oz.
  • Blackhorn 209 Black Powder/Propellant Measuring Tubes 6
  • Knight Full Plastic Jackets Box of 100
  • Knight Premium Speedloaders 2

After a few days of working on it, upgrading just about everything you can imagine, I finally got around to shooting it today in between the rain drops.

The riflescope is a ‘Weaver’ 3x9-40 ‘Duplex Reticle’ that I already had in my inventory, including the Bi-pod, which is a ‘Champion’ model.

Looks entire different now and so far with the limited time shooting it, I’m pleased with it’s performance, especially during the hot & humid weather conditions of today.

No failures or any major issues of any kind to speak of, thank goodness.

I shot it fifteen times at three different targets.

Open-site bullseye @35yrds and rifle-scope bullseye @50yrds.

I’m still trying to dialing it in for 100 yards, and so far so good, however I had to call it quits for the day do a thunderstorm fast approaching.

Once I have it to level that I’m most confident & comfortable with, I’ll make the determination whether or not I’ll try to take a buck with it specifically.

But rest assure, you can bet that I’ll kill a deer with it during the new 2020 muzzy season for my father-in-law’s sake.

I want to be able to tell him that I harvested a deer with it.

7 Likes

You done a good job on it, looks good. it will knock a deer down as quick or quicker than any rifle. They hit hard. don’t be scared to shoot at a buck with it when you get it dialed in at 100 yards.

6 Likes

if you consider that one of the most accurate designated sniper rifles was a black powder and would rival most modern firearms for accuracy

6 Likes

That was an amazing history lesson. Well worth watching.

Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

I have 3 inlines all are 50 cal. Muzzleloader hunting is my favorite

5 Likes

That’s awesome! Nice job!

3 Likes