Blackhawk -VS- Vaquero What Say You?

If you can’t decide, maybe this will help…

11 Likes

They’re both cool! I’d also choose the Blackhawk, mainly because of the stronger looking frame (top part), and the rear sights. But I think one should get both!

8 Likes

I noticed a difference in the hammers. I assume the difference purely aesthetic, but I’ve never fired a Vaquero. Does the Vaquero have the same action as the Blackhawk?

8 Likes

Had a 3 screw Black Hawk in 357 mag, it if was 45 Colt, I would still have it.

8 Likes

Sorry guys, I’m just a sucker for the old SAA style revolvers.
I know that Blackhawk is a bulletproof design, but it is one ugly pig compared to the Vaquero imo.

8 Likes

Both single action…yes.
The Redhawk is a double action version.

7 Likes

I realize that both are single action. I was just wondering if both pistols use identical fire control systems. I know that some of the SAA replicas use a Colt-style action.

7 Likes

That, I couldn’t tell you…but knowing Ruger would guess that it’s a yes. Maybe someone better educated on that could chime in…

6 Likes

as far as i know, the new vaquero and new model blackhawk have quite a few interchangeable parts, cylinder, barrel, grips, trigger, hammer, etc. now the caveat to this is that i have actually never tried to swap anything around and probably won’t unless i get some junkers one day or Ruger sending me a couple to jack with.

8 Likes

Thanks @CloverTac. That’s what I assumed, and it makes the most sense to keep production costs down. However, it would be cool to have the traditional Colt-style lockup action.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, the Vaquero’s sleeker top frame looks much nicer than the “blockier” Blackhawk frame.

7 Likes

I like my Blackhawk. Stronger frame lets me shoot hotter loads for hunting. Adjustable rear sight is also better for hunting.

7 Likes

What calibers does the Vaquero come in, guy across street from me has two in 45 colt.

7 Likes

Primarily 45LC or 357 Mag. There are some dealer exclusive that are 45 Auto, 9mm and 44 mag.
https://ruger.com/products/vaquero/overview.html

7 Likes

guess you didn’t watch my video LOL

7 Likes

hes right
He did say it in his video.

8 Likes

Good video. I pick Blackhawk

7 Likes

The one I liked the best, in a single action six shooter wasn’t from Ruger.
If my recollections are accurate, It was the J.P Saur (maybe,) that was imported from W. Germany under a variety of importer names.
It was the more accurate replica of the old Colt six-guns.
And it didn’t suffer from the Ruger Malady of pitching out the cylinder center pin.
Wish I still had it.
Could say that about a lot of them.

5 Likes

I have a Jager Dakota single action in 45LC that is pretty nice… can’t recall the provenance of that company at the moment but yeah, Germany and Italy both have an continue to produce old west revolvers

5 Likes

Vaquero looks better but the Blackhawk is more practical, imo

5 Likes