Blew Up My Barrel With a Squib

Ruger American Compact Pro. <100 rounds of Geco new, factory brass.

I change mags, and half way in, I hear “pop”. It doesn’t cycle. So, I rack it and clear an empty casing. Didn’t think to clear the barrel. Let the slide forward and boom.

My first squib. Now I know what it sounds and feels like. $85 to Ruger for a new barrel.

10 Likes

I would get the ammo maker to cough up the money to have the gun fixed.

Unless you are in combat, always check on what happened when a gun does not go bang like it should, too many dead guns because of people just racking another round in and blowing the gun up.

9 Likes

Some lessons are more expensive than others. Glad all you did was ruin a barrel.

9 Likes

You’re not the first or the last to have a squib load.
A guy who was standing right next to me had one that blew the top of his revolver straight up and through the roof of the range.

10 Likes

As others said, it’s good that it was not worse. I agree with @Mongo. Contact the ammo manufacturer.

7 Likes

I’m glad no one was hurt. Last year at the range I didn’t notice any difference in the sound but my boys started yelling DON’T SHOOT! Sure enough there was a round in the barrel.

10 Likes

I reached out to Geco, but no response.

5 Likes

It’s a testament to Ruger’s quality. The barrel slightly bulged, but that’s it.

8 Likes

well c’mon bro, black & white packaging… really?

8 Likes

OMG! Lmao Now that is the derail of the month right there. New meaning to the word squib round.

6 Likes

I swear to God that’s never happened to me before.

6 Likes

On practice rounds, I go cheap too. I practice with higher quality here and there but I run pretty cheap stuff for fun plinking. Or just reloads

7 Likes

This happened to me last year. Luckily, I realized what happened and didn’t fire the next cylinder.

Squib

7 Likes

Holy crap.

5 Likes
4 Likes

My brother’s 308 loads squibbed in his wife’s rifle. I stopped her before the next shot. She was pissed, especially when her 45 got a squib shortly thereafter as well,
That was early on in his reloading. He is much better at it now.

7 Likes

Early in my use of my Lee pro 1000 I ran a batch of 45’s. Somewhere in the process the powder hopper was shut off. There was like 50 out of 250 rnds with no powder. That was a fun day at the range knocking bullets out of the barrel.

6 Likes

Sharp, fast thinking boys!:+1:

5 Likes

You found @Joe-Bob 's stash…

6 Likes

Have a lawyer buddy? a smartly worded lawyer will get the ammo company coughing up the repair cash and replacing the unshot ammo.

7 Likes