Bob's Build No. 1

Today seems like an appropriate one to join in the conversation here and also thank the people and places that have been so much help in inspiring and educating me to the point I was ready (or at least think I’m ready) to start my first Build. A shout out to the folks on the gunsmithing forums at 1911Forums and 1911Addicts. The posts, answers, and PMs there have been invaluable.

And a special thank you to @MosinVirus who’s YouTube videos were, are are, critical to this journey. It is a sad shame that YouTube is treating his channel there so badly. :frowning:

Anyway, Build No. 1 is a Government 1911 in 45 ACP (all carbon steel forgings, billet and tool steel parts) that will end up as black on black on black Cerakote. It is designed as an IDPA/USPSA competition gun. I have gotten a little way into it and have the slide to frame, barrel, and grip safety tentatively fitted. There is detail work to finish up in all of them.

To best document my process (for interested parties and my own record), I have a series of posts going on my blog with the starting post here.

All feedback is gratefully accepted, especially the feedback that can correct an error or avoid one!

17 Likes

Great thread @BobRock!

8 Likes

And no plastic parts :speak_no_evil: :laughing::laughing:

7 Likes

I will have to check out the blog for sure.

5 Likes

Looking forward to following this thread

3 Likes

For me, there have been two troublesome things I’ve encountered so far in the build.

1. I can’t file flat or straight for my life
  2. At first I didn’t realize how small the marks might be in inking and didn’t look closely enough leading me to filing in the wrong places and opening up gaps I didn’t intend to.

But I’m learning a lot and having fun. I spent a good deal of time today working with stones to make the last little bit on the slide-to-frame fit and with fine files for the last bit on the lower barrel lug engagement with the slide stop.

While working along, I’m keeping in the back of my mind what things about the build I would choose to do on a mill if I had a mill. So, on the side, I’ve been studying smaller mills suitable for gunsmithing and am liking the looks of the Precision Matthews PM-727M w/DRO.

And I forgot one point of thanks in the first post. Walt Kuleck’s The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide (Vol 2) has been another big help in understand the build process, step-by-step.

6 Likes

I checked out the blog. Excellent read and easy to follow!!!

Great job on the build so far.

4 Likes

Bob the Builder…

3 Likes

You got me excited today
And it was the coldest day here
Loaded a new frame in to jig today

5 Likes

Sorry I’ve been absent brothers I’ve had a lot of life shit going on

5 Likes

Hope all is well now.

5 Likes