Bob's Build No. 1

@Giantspeed I knew what parts I wanted for this build after shooting the Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson, and Nighthawk 1911s I have. If the gun came out as well as I hope, I didn’t want no-name parts. :grinning:

Tackling hand checkering is beyond what I think I can do as is cutting frame rails, so I started with a relatively complete slide and frame. But I’m planning to buy a bench top mill and so my next build will start with an 80% frame and a bald slide.

Both amateur and pro gunsmiths have been very helpful here, on 1911Forum and on 1911Addicts. Us 1911 guys have to stick together!

10 Likes

It’s coming together, but I still need to final ream the chamber. It all fits and functions, pending a range test after the chamber is done.

Rough looking and not yet smoothed out, but:

It will be finished in black-on-black-on-black Cerakote.

8 Likes

Lookks grreat!

You doing the cerakote?

6 Likes

Looks good how the lock up now that it’s all put together

5 Likes

The lockup feels good - very positive with a nice snick in and snick out. Top lug engagement is 0.046". Are there any other objective measurements I should take?

6 Likes

@Robert No, I’m not up to tackling Cerakote just yet. There’s a local gunsmith/friend I’ll get to do it; he does Cerakote work all the time.

5 Likes

Go fire it now
And then we can get down to the tuning part
Did you happen to polish your feed ramp as of yet

4 Likes

Do you have headspace gauges? Those should be used when you finish ream the chamber.

And you should check by trying to lock the barrel up into the slide with the gauge in the chamber.

4 Likes

@Giantspeed, the feed ramp is not highly polished (yet) but is smooth enough to shoot, I think. As soon as the chamber is reamed.

4 Likes

@MosinVirus, I don’t have headspace go no-go gages. I plan to measure the depth with my caliper of depth gage from the hood to the barrel end of the chamber. Measuring that way seemed repeatable and told me the chamber was too shallow.

4 Likes

Assuming your hood fits tightly against the breechface then it sounds like a plan.

3 Likes

@Mosinvirus, I’m working to a chamber depth spec of .898” - .900”. The hood is not hard up to the breech face, so I’ll try to hit the .898”end.

4 Likes

Understood. If you have any spent cases that measure to spec you are aiming for, you can use them as a gauge against the breechface. Just an idea.

4 Likes

This method works pretty well

4 Likes

I’ve learned a new lesson. :weary:

I managed to over-ream the chamber and now have too much headspace, by any measure. I was already not too happy with the way I had fit the hood, now I get to do the whole thing over again.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

4 Likes

It happens pal
I’ve ruined some parts on the learning journey
Never a barrel but I’ve screwed up frames sears
Grip safety’s
It’s part of the game

5 Likes

How much are you over by?

3 Likes

Woooah , turn that frown upside down and start a .460 build :+1:

2 Likes

I’m at .916" deep measured from the barrel hood to the end of the chamber!

4 Likes

The reamer worked MUCH faster in deepening the chamber on the last turn than it did on the first. I did 5 turns at the start and didn’t move the chamber depth at all. Learning…

4 Likes