Bolt action or slide action AR pistol?

Anyone out there done anything like this?

9 Likes

Now that is a very interesting project. Get a polymer 80% lower, a polymer upper, mill the side for a charging handle, take an old bolt you have laying around and cut it shorter. Now my gears are turning.

4 Likes

Straight up bad ass!

2 Likes

I’ve got a side charging upper receiver and bolt carrier, that were bought for an upper I intend to build as a straight-pull bolt action rifle. It doesn’t require as much modification as that pistol, since it would only require leaving the gas system parts off the upper and making a more ergonomic charging handle than the one that came with the side charging carrier.

Got the idea from reading how the British deal with their gun laws (straight-pull bolt action ARs is one of their methods).

4 Likes

So… I have built very similar weapons only in rifles for long distances shooting… usually a right side charge handle. But one was a standard AR charge handle.
I would not have thought about building a light weight pistol. That’s cool.

4 Likes

Small light weight 300 blackout truck or pack gun is what I’m thinking. Just wondering what polymer parts to consider.

2 Likes

Sorry, I would never… even if paid… make any serious weapon (IE AR) out of any polymer that is available today.

5 Likes

Usually I wouldn’t consider it either, but with it just being manual action. Thought it should be fine, have you seen or had bad experience with polymer uppers/lowers?

2 Likes

Oh yes… I keep a broken one on my counter for people to see. They usually break after 300 rounds.
May last longer on a manual configuration but… they make some really lightweight top quality aluminum units so that’s what I would run. I only trust the polymer when it has been engineered from the ground up. Like a Glock… hahahhaha

2 Likes

Thats a neat concept there, i don’t think i’d personally do something like this as my skills are no where near what is required, but its a neat little pistol.

1 Like

go with a 80% lower with out the forward assist and only mill the mag release and choose either a left of right charging handle.
personally with that style of suppressor would have gone with more of a barrel shroud.

2 Likes

Please please don’t build with polymer
You can thank me later
I’ll try to remember to take a picture of our broken box of polymer lowers tommorow

5 Likes

why everyone so down on the polymers. I have an ATI omni hybrid with damn near 1000 rounds down the pipe in 300 BO. No issues as of yet. Not sayin it want but it hasn’t yet. Only issue I have ran across I attributed to cheap ammo. Had a few pieces of brass stick after firing and one didn’t go to battery and when I pulled it out the bullet was stuck in the barrel and the brass was on the ground.

3 Likes

Some of us are old and don’t believe in plastic
I have seen to many broken polymer lowers
That’s just real talk
I work in and build guns for a living
Plastic just doesn’t hold up

5 Likes

that makes since…My question wasn’t meant as an insult but as a real question. I figured at the price I got the ATI if the lower went boom it would be easy enough to replace with metal. Its a truck gun so no need to be pretty or expensive just dependable and as I already stated over 1000 rounds with only issue I attribute to cheap ammo I am comfortable with it. Not like I am planning on using it as a bat. I have a t-ball bat in the truck for that needs.

2 Likes

I want one…that is really a great idea!!

2 Likes

Wasn’t slighting it at all
All I meant was do it right the first time
A Anderson lower can be had for 40 dollars in my AO

4 Likes

that’s all fine and dandy, except I am not now nor do I ever intend on being a builder. I love guns , but when they break I take them to a builder. Yes I know I would more than likely have a better appreciation of them if I built my own but to me they are a tool. I paint for a living but I don’t build my own brushes either,
I do understand what you mean though. This is the only polymer ar I own and likely to be the last. Price was an issue when I got it and now standard metal ar’s are just as cheap as I got this one

2 Likes

I meant no slight I’ve just seen so many broken ones is all
And you can do whatever you put your mind to brotha
I never thought I could build custom 1911’s
But I learned
If I can anyone can

3 Likes

not saying I cant,just don’t want to. Maybe sometime in the future. And no slight was taken I was just advocating a different view. You know. Devils advocate

3 Likes