Boots

Lots of stress on gear and no mention of boots…

My current favorite pair are a set of 5.11 ATAC and my only complaint is they look so nice I hate to scuff/dirty them up

I got them on close out and want to encourage everyone to check our ad affiliates for close out deals, you may strike gold,

I see some of them promoting virus protection, popular now

and who knew Brownells sold food preps

So please when you see these ads, take a look,if you have them blocked, please consider unblocking the forum, I believe they look good and may offer some helpful ideas

Plus as an affiliate FULL30 gets a bit of coin form any purchases made even if you’re an existing customer it can help us out :+1:

Now, do you have good boots?

10 Likes

Good boots, for sure.
But gas masks?
Just wash your hands a lot and be careful what you put in or near your mouth.
You know, just like dealing with the flu.

6 Likes

My hunting boots are so wore out I got gorilla glue holding the sole on.

6 Likes

i have a hard time finding good boots. main reason is size. nobody stocks a 13E unless i buy online. i will say, based on my experiences, that the $40-$70 hiking and work boots tend to come apart if you get them wet a few times. i have a pair of Wolverines right now that seem to be pretty good. any other brands out there known to be high quality?

6 Likes

Check out Rocky boots in Nelsonville Ohio.
They make really good shoes and boots at very reasonable prices.
https://www.rockyboots.com

7 Likes

Bates…If you want a black duty style boot they are hard to beat, get the Gore-Tex version, dry feet and they last a long time.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Anyone know of any US made brands?

5 Likes

When I worked at GM, steel-toed Red Wings held up very well to really harsh conditions (even chromic acid). Moreover, I took them back to the store a couple of times and had them resoled with new uppers stitched in each time. Cheaper than new and I still have the boots to this day… over 15 years later. :slightly_smiling_face:

Outside of that^^^^ I’ve been happy with Justin work boots. They don’t last but a few years, but at the ~$150 price point they’re a decent value.

4 Likes

Also highly recommended.

I don’t wait until the toes are worn. Completely waterproofs the front of the boot and can take terrible punishment. I also never need to worry about scuffs or scratches. In addition, can be used on things like belt pouches or to give texture to tool grips, etc.

4 Likes

Merrill waterproof holding up well. Bates last a year or so. Rebock light weight for summer time. Usually buy mine on closeout on sale. I have 3 or 4 pair in the box waiting their turn.

6 Likes

Here is a pair of 5.1 boots that is on sale. I don’t own them but there is someone on 308 that has used them for several years.

4 Likes

I wear 511 duty boots everyday. I buy a new pair every birthday. I beat the pogies out of them, and they last over a year.

4 Likes

Be careful. Many years ago a local Adidas store was going out of business. My buddy’s brother worked there and said I could use his discount on top of clearance prices. So I decided to invest in several items I knew I’d eventually wear out (i.e. basketball shoes and cleats). I bought 3 pair of each: one each to use right away; all others as replacements. Long story short, all the extras dry rotted before I ever got to use them. On most, the pleather uppers had turned into some sort of tar like glue that was nearly impossible to remove from my fingers (luckily it didn’t soak through the box) and the soles could be pulled right off. This was after 2-3 years storage in my closet.

So I learned a lesson. I still buy multiple pairs of shoes on occasion (a good sale), but never buy more than I project needing to use within a year or two tops.

4 Likes

I guess it depends on what you need as far as boots go. I have a pair of military 8” Garmont N8 “running” boots that I got for ankle support while running a 10K biathlon in mud and uneven terrain. They’re light and flexible and work great for that, but are kind of hot and not the quickest to put on and take off.

I also have a pair of mid top hiking boots from Academy that are very comfy. They’re probably my favorite and have held up to lots of walking miles.

I had to wear steel toed boots for welding class. But I’ve never worn a comfortable pair of steel toes. Always heavy and inflexible, making it harder to work while crouched down low. And I’ve found the cowboy boot steel toes the most uncomfortable, even though they seem to be more popular around here in Texas on oil drilling rigs and construction sites. Maybe the lace ups are a safety hazard? I tried the kevlar toed boots, and they’re definitely a bit lighter but still kind of inflexible. Anyone know of a good pair of steel/kevlar toed boots?

A friend of mine who just got out of the Air Force swears by these Lowa boots:

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/task-force-tactical/zephyr-mid-tf-desert

His are green, and they look real comfy. Kind of pricey, but maybe it’s “buy-once, cry-once” with them?

3 Likes

Sorry, not Garmont “N8” boots, but “T8” NFS boots:

https://www.rangerjoes.com/Super-Lightweight-Garmont-T8-NFS-Boots-P9493.aspx

I see they’ve gone up in price a bit, though.

3 Likes

With the shipping lanes closed we may see a lot of price increases

2 Likes

Can’t get any more American made than the good ole, Midwestern state of Ohio.

2 Likes

Who’s making boots there?

2 Likes

Rocky

2 Likes