Boresnake vs Otis Ripcord

The bore snakes are great I’ve been using them for a long time. I got my first Otis Ripcord and I got to say it’s pretty awesome it brings a feature set that the boresnake does not offer, the ability to add different cleaning tools to the Ripcord is a big Plus! Is anybody else using the Otis ripcord I’d like to hear your thoughts and opinions?

8 Likes

I prefer the boresnake. I gave the otis away. It wasnt bad but im just use to the boresnake.

4 Likes

I use them regularly after every outing with my guns. Very convenient vs. older cleaning kits.

My makeshift cleaning & maintenance go bag. I have a decent cleaning kit when I feel the need for serious break-down cleaning…

5 Likes

@Wildlife, the ability to add a tool to the Ripcord to help dislodge obstructions is a really nice feature to have, that’s the the main difference distinction between the two products.

6 Likes

I have a bore snake for my 9mm, it works well, but I still find myself reaching for the rod most of the time

3 Likes

hahha, wait, which one? Yes, I was young.

3 Likes

@Tactical_Reviews, sometimes it’s not always convenient and you need something portable when you’re out in the field or at the range.

6 Likes

Youre still young ,TR.

2 Likes

I’ll go ahead and get me one for the gun I’m currently working on. Once finished with it, I’ll need to sight it in & test some new ammo for it. I’ll give the “Ripcord” a whirl then and let you know what I think. Appreciate it, thanks!.

5 Likes

@Wildlife, I’m confident you’re going to like it quite a bit, the fact that you can add all your other rods and brushes to it makes it stand out from the competition.

5 Likes

When I go deer hunting I carry an MTM Case-Guard wallet with 9 rounds (plus four in the magazine) and it has just enough room for a Boresnake.

The multiple cleaning heads is a good idea . . . but I have a couple one-piece cleaning rods for home use and the Boresnake is just for “casual” cleaning in the field or camp.

5 Likes

@Stumpkiller, I’m not familiar with the MTM case Gard is it a means of carrying extra ammunition

if you have time I’d be interested in taking a look at the MTM product you’re talking about.

7 Likes

Sure. Not as attractive as the leather case but it slips nicely in a coat pocket.

6 Likes

Got 2 don’t use either.

1 Like

I have both bore snake and rip cord use at the range. Both work well.

3 Likes

Why don’t you use them?

2 Likes

Just easier for me to use the traditional cleaning rod. When I bought one for my 22 rifle from bass pro it didn’t fit. Took it back. It said 22 on it. I mostly shoot 9 9mm handguns so the snake is too much trouble.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same problem with small caliber bore snakes. Got one for 22/223 and I could swing the dang guns around the room. Cleaning rods work fine for me.

2 Likes

I had a .223 boresnake. Ripped it in half going down the tube if my AR-15. That was an absolute PITA to remove. I had to get a set of pliers and pull it piece by piece from the front.

6 Likes

I usually keep a boresnake in my 22lr case. Gives me the opportunity to clean it out in the field if need be. As for the ripcord, I can see how it appeals to some, but just not my favorite.

3 Likes