Broken tap removal

4140 carbon steel frame. also i cheaped out and tried to get away with just using a bottoming tap. Now I’m paying the price

7 Likes

Thought of you today when I can to break out the tap and die set,

air compressor had a hole in it, drilled/tapped and topped of with JB weld

9 Likes

The little compressor that I use for mist cooling on the lathe and mill is a JB weld special. I hate even tiny leaks, had a pinhole in the handle to tank weld, JB fixed it right up.

9 Likes

JB Weld is a miracle of modern chemistry. I’ve used it many times. :+1:

9 Likes

I hear a lot of people sharing success stories with JB Weld. Me, not so much. :confused:

7 Likes

Before the pistol manufacturers started doing replicable back straps it was the goto for magwell mods.

9 Likes

No?

My biggest success with it was a moped, a local sold me one for 100.00 with a broken frame,

I JB welded it , rode it a trip or two and sold it back to him for 150.00

Recently I ran a circular saw across someone else’s utility cart, color match was perfect :shushing_face:

8 Likes

My last attempt was years and years ago on an oil pump shaft for a Ford 302. I can’t recall now what I was trying to do with the JB Weld (maybe hold the shaft to the distributor?), but long story short it didn’t hold and the shaft came loose, falling into the oil pan (one of the double sump style). I had to pull the motor to retrieve it. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

In JB Weld’s defense, I never should have made the mistake I made leading me to try JB Weld on there in the first place. So it was likely a misapplication on my part.

Also, I was a serious motor head in HS and we’d all make fun of people who used JB Weld. It was the sign of a cob ass mechanic (like me with that distributor :roll_eyes:). I don’t discount the fact I’ve been biased against it forever due to those early life experiences.

7 Likes

It’s on the back burner right now. It’s hunting season.

9 Likes

I hope you got that broken tap out already but for future reference there’s this a broken tap removal tool

https://www.travers.com/tap-extractors/p/15-924-056/

7 Likes

You resurrection of this old thread is worth looking at.
The tap remover fits in the clearance groves of the broken tap, interesting idea.
This one is big, wonder how far you could scale it down before the fingers wouldn’t be rigid enough. Could cut one out of drill rod with a thin angle grinder blade, but 3 sided taps would give you some trouble.

7 Likes

I’ve broken plenty of taps over the decades of working on cars. I found the tap extractors about ten years ago. How did I I get by with out them? They are available in sets or individually. I think 4mm is the smallest but not sure.

7 Likes

I got those they just were to big. It was a really small tap. I ended up having it drilled out. I since got my own milling machine and discovered MCSDirect and found some taps that are great and carbide bits for drilling out broken taps.

5 Likes