Budget 6.5 grendel upper recomendations

So I recently decided that I’d like to upgrade my 5.56 ar with the better ballistics of 6.5 grendel. The only problem is that I have little experience with ar uppers and don’t really know what I should be looking for. I really just want to replace my current upper which has an a2 sight block and doesn’t have free float hand guards and also try out a different caliber and maybe some long range shooting but most of my shooting will probably be 300 yards or less. i Also I have a budget of about $500. Any recomendations?

9 Likes

Bear Creek Arsenal makes some nice Grendel uppers. I have 2 of their barrels and bolts I built the rest.

9 Likes

I agree with @shooterrex . Bear Creek Arsenal makes good, inexpensive parts. They are not all great, but they do have good customer service. I have one barrel and a complete upper from them.
6.5 Grendel is a great caliber. It is near impossible to find ammo for it right now. It’s not the only one, but it is one of the worst at the moment.

9 Likes

I think they quit making it.lol

8 Likes

Bear Creek Arsenal is who I would recommend for the budget you have planned.

8 Likes

Under 500 yards? Get a 6.8 SPC ll ARP barrel. Our family’s has 4 now. I wouldn’t even think twice. Here is a really good thread you should. The designer of the Cavity Back Bullets chimes in too. There are some great people on that site. AR Performance has a section there too. 6.8 Terminal Range Thread

6 Likes

The PPU Grendel ammo seems to be showing up the last day or so.

6 Likes

One of the best 6.8 SPC loads is Druid Hill’s using the CCB MKZ, the 105 is loaded to 2750 and the 120 is loaded to 2550. MKZ Handloaded out of a ARP Barrel is 100-200 fps faster.

Take a look the videos of B-Gel tests on their site. CBB MKZ is pretty dang awesome.

Cavity Back Bullets

Here is something a little cheaper for a fairly effective bullet.

Hornady Black Rifle 6.8 mm Remington

6 Likes