CA Ammo Regulations

What about those in California who reload their own ammo?
Are the components regulated as much as factory made?
And how about the supplies needed for muzzle loaders?

2 Likes

I havent heard that reloaders are affected, and cannot remember the language of the laws on the books, but I am sure they will be scooped up too.

2 Likes

Not to my knowledge. My hubby would know more, but I think you can get brass, bullets, powder, and what not, no questions asked. Same for muzzle loaders, but the black powder seems to be a specialty item. Around here you go to a historical gun store to get that. But I could be wrong. @mquinn55, what do you know about that?

1 Like

@g.willikers In Ca brass and bullets can be purchased online and shipped to home. Powder and primers can also but you pay haz mat fees as well ( I think these run about $16 and $32 for FedEx ) So not worth it in my opinion as it can be had locally.
Most gun stores have several powders but a reloading supply store is usually well stocked with anything you’re looking for.
Same is true for black powder supplies as well.

3 Likes

So I did the CA CoE online. It’s already approved and I have a number. It took 2 days. However I haven’t paid them and as far as I can tell, they’re not asking.

Not complaining, but it seems weird, like maybe I missed something. What do you think?

1 Like

Did you do the live scan, etc?
Seems weird that it would have gone through without you having to put any payment information into the system.

If you did put your CC into the system, it may have not gone through your bank yet.

Did you also fill out and send in your C&R license app?

1 Like

I did the live scan and I put the ATI number on the application. I did not put any payment information on there. I went back in and looked around at the fees and payment information. It doesn’t say anything about the fees for a new application other than the live scan. It does talk about renewal fees though. I mailed the C&R stuff a few days ago.

2 Likes

Hah, i guess there is no startup fee.
Well, when you get your C&R license, sign it and date it, then scan it and email it and COE to targetsportsusa, there is also a FFL email address for Brownells.

Brownells will give you a ffl discount.
Targetsportsusa will ship ammo to your door. Cases ship free.

3 Likes

So by way of update, I finally got the FFL license. Yes, it took that long! Holy hell!

Anyway, I’m now going to contact some of those online ammo dealers and see if they’ll ship direct now. Wish me luck.

8 Likes

Good Luck!

5 Likes

They changed the regs a bit and confused the sellers. The exemptions for CA 03FFL and COE holders got removed.

2 Likes

What does that mean? I can’t buy ammo and have it shipped to me?

2 Likes

Prop 63 proposed text was issued and the way it was written confused everyone including online retailers.

Prop 63 deals with CA licensed ammo vendors. It doesn’t have the collector with COE exemption, and a couple other ones.

According to at least one online retailer, someone from CA doj called them to tell them they can no longer ship ammo to CA buyers directly and referred them to Prop 63 text. They reacted.

Read the discussion here on Page 13 starting with post 494 I believe. Also look at post 506.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1406001&highlight=Targetsports&page=13

3 Likes

This just sucks bad. I’m sorry to hear this @Mosinvirus @EQuinn @mquinn55 and anyone else in California. I wish I had a time machine right about now.

4 Likes

Well at least not everyone seems to be confused

6 Likes

That is excellent. I am sure Tatget sports will sort out their stuff soon enough if they haven’t already. Now order more ammo to have around!

2 Likes

As expected. just got an e-mail from TargetSportsUSA.

https://mailchi.mp/targetsportsusa/weekend-ammo-deals-starts-now-at-target-sports-usa-3841?e=c3ec7b7c4f

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi Mosin, I know this is an older post, but this is very helpful info. I am in the middle of applying for my FFL 03. One question: Where do I find the form to get the live scan finger prints for the COE application?

Thanks in advance.

RE

7 Likes

Welcome @R.ELLISON. Please post an introduction and say hello to everyone.

Intro

7 Likes