CA trying to set another trend for blue states... watch out.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB3071

Basically they are trying to ban all lead ammo from all ranges - indoor and outdoor.

(e) Ammunition that does not contain lead is readily available. Studies have shown that nonlead ammunition performs as well as, or better than, lead ammunition.

And

The only means to ensure that there will not be exposure to those inside and outside of the range is to stop using lead ammunition.

Yes, we already have to pay more fees and go through background checks to get ammo. Now we will be forced to get really expensive ammo if this bill passes and is signed into law. Also, no mention of cops being exempt (which I am sure is coming next)

8 Likes

I’m surprised this hasn’t come nationwide yet already.

5 Likes

This is a backwards process. First make sure the alternative is indeed readily available and affordable. Then outlaw the harmful product.

Kind of like making sure you have alternatives to jet fuel propelled planes before you talk about banning them. Talking about AOC here.

6 Likes

Let them do what they must. Our sworn duty is to disobey. Im good at that.
Meanwhile there is 300lbs of lead sitting in the shop. I will never run out.

6 Likes

Exactly.

7 Likes

I’m in Missouri and I have 400 lbs of lead and molds for bullets . So I say stock up now no matter where you are Bernie is coming.

6 Likes

Bernie is coming to asorb a large amount of lead…

7 Likes

Hopefully when his little commie rats act out when he loses, they will too.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-bernie-staffer-kill-political-opponents-burn-people-in-streets-cops-to-be-beaten-if-bernie-loses

7 Likes

They will make good target practice.

8 Likes

They can “buy back” the ARs but they will get the bullets for free.

4 Likes

Same here. I’ve been worried about this for years. Ammo would be an easy target so to speak. Lead bans, taxes, background check requirements, no online sales, etc. etc. It’s coming sooner than later unfortunately.

5 Likes

THAT is the part I figured would be next. It would come down to one of us walking in to one of the online company’s brick n mortar and buying bulk. And then private sales happen.

I REALLY need to get my reloading and 80% finishing equipment. Like badly.

4 Likes

Copper and brass jacketed and plated lead core ammunition are the norm.
What exposure to lead is there with jacketed and plated ammo?
I have some hard cast lead, and some 357 with a lead soft point.
Is lead from shooting jacketed or plated ammo even detectable?

4 Likes

Lead from jacketed ammo should be minimal to none. I’m not sure about plated bullets. I know that plating is very effective, but also very thin. I would suspect that some plating could be stripped off by the rifling in the barrel perhaps? It’s a good question.

2 Likes

Drop your mops, and grab your socks and get you asp in gear. <-- (self censored)

I bet there are folks in your hood that can help you. If you lived here, you would already be shooting with us. We have folks that show others how to use drill presses or routers to get the job done for free.

If you are just getting going with reloading, you are to dang late. Everything today is 100X more costly than it was even 10 years ago.

Either PM me or start a separate thread for folks to ask questions and get answers on 80% how to, or reloading. I have been reloading since 1961. I dont know everything, but I do know the old fashion way of doing it. Like dont buy new gear. Its over priced and Chinese made.

Full jackets (can not see the lead) are so safe, Ill suck on one just to show you how safe they are.
Protected points (lead out the nose) or hollow base (some have exposed lead). Without gloves I have been reloading them for decades. No lead poisoning so far.
BTW I cast hard, soft, paper patch, and lubed groove boolits. I wear gloves and eye pro when loading them. When casting them, breathing mask (industrial grade, not paper masks). welding gloves, and boots. (I burnt my left foot with spue slash about 10 years ago). Ouch.

Those hard cast can be reloaded and fired with simple rubber gloves on. Keep you fingers out of your mouth and nose. Dont suck on them,
Of the calibers I use. I cast lead for most of them. I have bags of 10,000 jacketed pills to reload. They with rest in peace until I can not them in a store. Both handguns (45ACP & 357 mag) I have never bought a store made round for either. Same with 45/70 and 30WCF. All cast lead.

My one warning to new reloaders, do not get into casting boolits until you have lots of money and time to waste. Reloading will take several years to understand. Casting is a whole new can of spam.

7 Likes

Thank you sir! I’ll reach out once I get ready to start the process. I think I’m going to start with 9x25 Dillon and 10mm. :cowboy_hat_face: :+1:

5 Likes

Handgun rounds are harder to learn because they are smaller. I do not know about 9mm, but 38/357 you have to have a arbor press just to size the brass properly.
I used to do only 45ACP which is a larger case. When I started 357 mag, I had to buy more stuff to process the brass.

4 Likes

I can always start with .30-06 or 7.62x54r if that’s easier to learn.

4 Likes

Wat easier. My ole man started me on 30-06 in 1961. I have over 12,000 cases today. I can spend a day making them, and a few hours with my M1 sending them down range :smiley:
Id start there.
7.62x54r may be harder to find the projectiles. I sold my PE MN because of that.

4 Likes

Even now that it is a very popular round? (Thanks IV8888)

I really gotta make sure when we move to the country we have room to shoot. Once I find all of my stuff at the bottom of the Atlantic I’ll have a great time throwing pills down range. :boat:

4 Likes