Caliber debate of the week: 9mm vs .45 ACP(feel free to derail)

Great thread, have a nice day…

Screenshot_20200119-123100

5 Likes

Lol what? Thats shitty ammo then.

I doubt the real gunfighters would use it if it was that bad. Think about it, LE have to be able to shoot threw clothing.

124gr +P Gold Dot easily goes threw winter coats . It’s not a .22 LR

Also, designed with that in mind

3 Likes

Thick clothing will effect it but it will penetrate.

1 Like

Yes. Yes it is. Only it’s not so subtle now that it’s rolling. :yawning_face:

4 Likes
1 Like

You’re looking a little yellow today

2 Likes
3 Likes

I own a 9mm I’m not talking it down as a self defense round just saying it may not be the best

2 Likes
3 Likes

Never seen that, guess it can happen.

9mm in general penetrates fine for a handgun though(which isn’t great). .45 wont do much better being fatter and slower. I’m pretty sure its a matter of ammo selection.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Makes you wonder if the weather had something to do with it. Or maybe the police were trying to hide something

4 Likes

Or bad ammo or a freak incident or bad luck. I mean obviously it can happen , Murphy’s law is a bitch and 9mm is far from perfect (no round is). 10mm wouldve probably done better.

3 Likes

45acp will punch through carhartt, just sayin…

5 Likes

So will 9mm , watch the video. There are a lot of variables here.

4 Likes

Point is , the 9mm must be maxed out, everything j-u-s-t right to even be somewhat close to ALMOST as good. No different than saying a 4cyl Yugo can keep up with a 350hp v8. Sure maybe for a little bit, IF you bore the engine out, adjust the computer, fit to run jet fuel, add nitrous, pedal to the floor, favorable weather forecast, etc…

4 Likes

Oh yea you need quality ammo for good results, 9mm sucked up untail recent times. FMJ penetrates pretty good too though but not what I would use on people.

4 Likes

That’s why I stagger my 9mm mags w/hp & fmj(I stagger my 45 mags as well)

5 Likes

We just need to invest in 10mm more, it really is the master race of semi auto pistol calibers.

4 Likes

When I was carrying a .45 I would carry Federal 165gr hydra shoks when heavy clothing wasn’t expected, and their 165g expanding FMJs during the winter. The XFMJs were pretty interesting. Looking for all the world like a FMJ on the outside but under the FMJ front was soft polymer and a scored jacket. They always expanded reliably out of a 3" barrel tested in water filled jugs. Of course they could never plug since there was nothing to plug.

I went to their website and couldn’t find it so I assume it didn’t work as good as what they presently make. But i thought it was really good stuff 15+ years ago. I still have a bunch of it and don’t plan on turning it into range ammo. I’d use it today for SD.

6 Likes