Can shot clocks Be a viable training tool?

The question is can a shot clock actually be used to find weaknesses in gear or weapon manipulation?

I use to think that a shot clocks use was only for the IDPA or IPSC guys and that I wouldn’t be able to benefit from it at all.
In short I found out that they do in fact add a bit of stress and can cause you to notice a weakness in gear that you otherwise wouldn’t have noticed with out a timed challenge.

I recently got back in to contact with some old friends that I use to train with. We haven’t seen each other for two plus years so we all got together in Michigan (an equal distance from one another to drive) and train again. Wow personally I really has to knock off the dust with my training.
Here is a short video so you can see just how many different and interesting malfunctions and how just a little bit of pressure can cause a person to miss draw a pistol from a holster.

On a positive note we all found different areas we needed to work on and improve ourselves, personal and gear related LOL!

So let me ask you! What have you notice help you with better weapons manipulation?

Would you ever consider using a shot clock?

I want to hear your experiences with training and the hurtles that you have personally over come!
8 Likes

I shoot competitively and I agree. It’s a different ball game when somebody else has control of that timer.

3 Likes

Your Full30 Channel has been approved. Guys, you really gotta let me know if you’re trying to get your channel turned on. lol

4 Likes

It really does. I was also in your backyard so to speak, we where in Alpena Michigan during that.

3 Likes

Sorry Brother, my life is like herding cats 24/7.

3 Likes

Next time he needs to invite some brothers wouldn’t you say :laughing:

Thanks @JoshActual

3 Likes

Short answer,( and you already know this), PRACTICE, learn from your mistakes, and PRACTICE.
Also, the finger lock on the Serpa is easy to bypass and it will still have a good friction retention.

4 Likes

Some look like they have a handle on it.
For some others, the thought that comes to mind is molasses.
Shows how skills can diminish.
Regular practice, especially with others is really important.
And it’s downright fun.
Thanks for the video and reminder to get out there and practice.

4 Likes

[quote=“switchpod, post:1, topic:13094”]
Would you ever consider using a shot clock?

I want to hear your experiences with training and the hurtles that you have personally over come!

I don’t own a shot timer. In the classes I’ve taken, the instructors don’t use a timer very often. Usually we’re running scenario based drills and the emphasis is on technique, not speed. Sometimes, towards the end of the day, we’ll shoot the plate rack with a timer, just to unwind and have some friendly competition.( that’s alot of fun!)
For me, leaning in front of the muzzle and shooting from retention was the most unsettling thing I had to do.

4 Likes

Pretty common defensive practice in IDPA, G20 makes it a blast :grin:

4 Likes

The first time I did retention drills was with a Glock 30.
That was a very special experience. Lol. I learned the value of bringing a 9mm to class.

3 Likes

Ok. A couple things I found out about myself. I need to do some cardio training.and maybe cut back on the cigarettes. One of the drills involved running to different stations and eliminating the threats. That kicked my ass. Another thing I learned. One drill involved lying prone(pistol) and engaging a silhouette target at 100 yards. The idea was to emphasize the importance of focusing on the sights to achieve relatively long range accuracy. My problem was my bifocal glasses. I couldn’t lift up my head far enough to find the sweet spot in the glasses. After several unsuccessful attempts, the instructor (Pat Goodale) told me to just stand up and do it like us old guys do. That was kinda funny but then, I was able to focus on the sights and hit the target without much of a problem. Now I have some glasses that have a focal length of about 23"( the distance from my eyes to the front sight) and I dont have to tilt my head up to focus on the sights anymore. I can’t wear them while driving or at work but, out and about they work ok.

4 Likes

Yeah, you’re 100 percent correct with practice!

As for the serpa holster I was looking at rounding the edge that retains the trigger guard a bit to aid in removing the firearm.

3 Likes

Now this is a perfect example of learning something very important during training! And something we should all try to consider when trying to further our discipline with these tools!

3 Likes

My solution was to cut a piece off of a large pencil eraser and wedge it under the release lever. And yeah, I did it on my kitchen table.:grin:

4 Likes

Yes, definitely. Just make sure your technique is smooth and fluid before trying to push the clock or you might fall in the habit of trying to modify your technique for your times. A lot of people develop bad habits from trying to rush themselves. A shot clock is not ideal for absolute beginners though , imo.

You should not be in a rush when starting out, you should be focusing on proper mechanics then improving that threw efficiency of movement, imo.

I miss shooting in competitions although in reality I suck at them.

3 Likes