Cannon project

So I’ve got this new project my son and I will be doing. It arrived when I was in the hospital, so can’t do much with it right now.

This is a build it kit. Looks like everything fits very well. I’ll have to sand the wood a little, then stain and seal it in dark walnut. I’ll also brown the barrel as I think it will look more period correct than a blued barrel.

Now, I’m sure you’re asking. Will it really shoot? How big is it, can’t really tell from the pictures… I picked up a round ball mold and cast some .69 caliber round balls. Pure lead, the dime is for size reference.

Today I got an Email letting me know my cannon fuse shipped. I’m really looking forward to finishing this project. My goal is to build a larger-scale cannon. I found a place that sells 1/2 scale cannon barrels. As well as 2/3 scale. I would like to build the 1/2 scale. The carriage will take some time and a lot of work. The final cost should come in around $2k. That’s going to have to wait and move slow.

12 Likes

Nice!! This plus the peg leg and love of weapons…you might be a pirate.

7 Likes

That looks just bad ass!

6 Likes

Diggin it @Tactical_Reviews

5 Likes

Awesome project. :+1:
Got a link to the kit?

4 Likes

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/Old-Ironsides-Kit-.69-cal

4 Likes

Nice, how many grains of black powder do they recommend?

6 Likes

I haven’t even looked at that yet.

3 Likes

And I had to run out of likes when someone is building a cannon!

5 Likes

Fun. But a cannon should have a 2" bore or better. :wink:

You’re still in the “signal cannon” range under 3/4" bore size.

5 Likes

do you kick over sand castles at the beach?

5 Likes

I shell them. :wink:

6 Likes

Today the cannon project moved forward a bit. Helps being a little mobile.
Started off with a nice clean barrel.
Uploading: 20191017_132038.jpg…

Heated it up real good. This works, but I found the oven works even better.

Stared working in the plub brown.

Five coats later, the barrel is browned. I thought about doing another coat but decided I wanted a bit more rustic just got off the ship that was in battel look.

Tomorrow I’m going to rub it with steel wool. Then it’s on to the wood. A little sanding and staining.

4 Likes

order some 90k psi chromoly tubing 4 inch diameter by 3/8 wall thickness, weld a 1 inch thick plug on end and drill a fuse hole, build a carriage out of steel plate, load her up and wake up the whole county and then get raided by LE…sounds like fun. A guy on YT has been using a cannon shooting spears to kill wild hogs…

5 Likes

I do have future plans of building either a 1/2 scale, or a 5/8 scale cannon. Might even go full scale if the price is right. I can get barrels, just need to finish them and build a carriage.

5 Likes

There used to be a company called “Cannon Mania” that had the most incredible offerings. Mortors that fit bowling balls, original CW & Napoleonic cannon. But something went amiss and they or someone using the name around 2006 became evil.

They had a semi-scale cannon that was designed to shoot a 5.5 ounce V8 juice can filled with concrete that an acquaintance nearby bought and I had the great pleasure to be at a shoot where he used it. MAN did I want one of those!

5 Likes

Cannons are definitely neat.
A fellow I know made one that shoots bowling balls
Eghads.
Years ago, there was a show on public tv with a couple of eccentrics that scowered a local junk yard for project ideas.
They came up with a cannon that shot weighted pop cans.
Instead of powder it used gasoline and a spark plug to launch the cans.
Very cool, indeed.

4 Likes

how do you learn to tune that I wonder…?

4 Likes

Probably by adjusting the amount of gasoline and maybe the temperature of the spark plug.
They never said, but it worked pretty good.

4 Likes

6 Likes