Carbon fiber handguard

Anyone running a carbon fiber handguard on their AR10?

7 Likes

I doubt anyone here would admit running any :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@308AR

6 Likes

Really? That bad?
Plenty of folks running plastic magpul stuff…
I’m just trying to pull off a build under 10 pounds haha

7 Likes

Yeah, I had 2 builds where aluminum was out of the question. I live in a cold climate and experience tells me that aluminum sucks the heat out of ones hands.

Not AR10, but a AR15 300BLK… A Lancer bought during the time when the left was burning the left coast. They went out of their way to make what I wanted and contacted me to make sure my screwup wasn’t going to put me in a bind. It’s a nice handguard and I tested it to see if it would handle the heat from the can. I dumped a 30 round mag of supersonic ammo and it never got anywhere near close to being hot. Warm, yes. That was with very little clearance between the can and the handguard. Would I buy another? Yup, in a heartbeat. Good stuff and good folks to deal with.

Oh yeah, and I have another CF handguard, Brigand Arms. This one was selected for the weight. It’s a lattice handguard that’s on a 5# 9oz AR15. I did NOT test it for heat since it’s wide open to the heat coming from the barrel. But one can’t get better cooling. It’s MUCH(!) stronger than it looks, just don’t expect much in the way of heat protection.

6 Likes

I’ll run PRI (Precision Reflex) carbon fiber HGs all day long, no questions asked. I have a few of them already. No company is better than them (PRI) than this. No company. It’s the original handguard on the Mk12 Mod 0. If you’re worried about it’s strength - you can run out of ammo, and then beat people to death with it - it’s that strong.

8 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Very helpful

7 Likes

If your going to build a large frame ar you might want to come over to www.forum.308ar.com
Lots of good info over there.

8 Likes

no poaching the fng

5 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

I’m not poaching. I’m pointing him to more info on what he is trying to build.
Large frame AR’s are not the same animal as the small frame ones. There is no " milspec". Each manufacturer does their own thing and not all of the parts play well with others.
Trying to save him money so he can build more than one.
Usually one isn’t enough.

5 Likes

Rex I think Tim was just messing with you. 308AR is good resource. I have gotten tips there too.

4 Likes

I’m sure between the two groups I’ll find a way to satisfy my addiction.

5 Likes

I recommend anyone with AR10 love check them out, and also to talk smack about them too :hugs:

Especially @98Z

4 Likes

:thinking: :wtf: :rofl: :rofl:

Everyone needs more than one! :+1:

3 Likes

The old man across the street is into some kind of military competition shooting and has carbon fiber, free floating hand guards on his.
He has has that rifle for over a decade.

2 Likes