CARLOS HATHCOCK, THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SNIPER

11 Likes

My younger brother was a Marine Sniper and got to meet Hathcock who used to visit each Sniper class and talk to the Marines, My brother said everyone surrounded him and was asking questions, One Marine spoke up and asked him about shooting through the scope of the Vietcong sniper
my brother said everyone got silent, Hathcock smiled and said, Don’t believe everything you read, my brother said you could have heard a pin drop
one of the instructors quickly changed the subject, but my brother said that stuck with him. It was talked about for days by the Marines wondering if it actually happened
after watching other shooter videos try to reenact that shot I have my doubts it happened as the book said
bullet trajectory after 100 yards makes it seem impossible, Anything is possible, But

4 Likes

This post is not meant to diminish what Chris Kyle accomplished but I just have to say what Carlos Hathcock did in a much more challenging jungle environment makes him stand alone as the best.

5 Likes

Didnt Chris Kyle speak pretty highly of Hathcock and say something along the lines of considering it an honor just to be compared to him?

These guys are both real hardcore dudes with impressive resumes 
but did they kill 500 commies in the snow
 with a mosin and iron sghts? The White Death was one of the baddest mofos to ever grab a rifle and stack bodies.

4 Likes

Sometimes he would just sneak in and take something personal

4 Likes

I just have to give props to one of my favorite snipers.

Lyudmila “Lady Death” Pavlichenko

Over 300 kills using a non-Fin improved Moist Nugget—errr—Mosin Nagant. Yea, that chick was badass.

I know wrong topic to praise a commie, but still. Badassery should be respected even with the commies.

3 Likes

A bad ass is a bad ass! Give credit where due

3 Likes

Theres just something cool about Mosins

3 Likes

@Caw, obviously I agree. But I am obviously biased. :mosin:

3 Likes

I know that this is an old thread, but Carlos Hathcock has told the story himself a bunch of times.

5 Likes

I had the pleasure of meeting Carlos at a gunshow and bought one of his autographed books from him there. Comparing him to Chris Kyle doesn’t pencil well. Carlos had no real technology working for him except a few military topographic maps which while not the most accurate at least gave him an idea of the approximate elevations and distances in the areas he hunted. Kyle on the other hand had a fair amount of technology (even satellite information) to work with rifles that out weighed Carlos’s primary weapon, a winchester 06. My 308 tactical rifle in the hands of Hathcock would probably have been a boon to his scores over the 06. My 82A1 while not something he’d have packed thru the jungle would have been useful in many of the locations he worked and as a firebase tool would have made it possible to score even more kills than he did with either of his bolt guns. Carlos’s brief use a Ma Duece in single shot mode showed that While I never met Kyle he was highly skilled working in towns and villages and proved it. So not only were the tools different used by these two men the area they hunted were as well. Carlos was more in tune with the outdoors and Kyle the urban scene and environment. They were both very good at what they did but I suspect if you time swapped them to the other’s location they both might have not done nearly as well as they did in their own time period. Best to both and God rest them.

5 Likes