Carry chambered, or not

Walking around without a round on the chamber believing you will have time to chamber a round is like believing you will have time to put your seat belt on before you hit the car that just stopped in front of you.

• Carry with a round in the chamber.
  • Carry un-chambered.

0 voters

The first time I publicly carried, I carried without a round chamber. Since then, there’s always been one in the tube.

it all depends on your training
and I can tell you it there was really no differnce for me in shooting a browning hi power between drawing pulling and shooting over having one in the pipe (this was all done on a sim target range and we were timed by a panel of officers).
I did prefer to carry one up but hammer forward…

What ever I carry it has a round chambered . I carry a Kahr cw45 most and train to not put my finger on the trigger until on target.

Round chambered. Never understood why one wouldn’t. I can understand some who carried pistols in the military got used to it but let’s be honest, when it comes to realistic EDC thinking one will always have the time to rack prior to an engagement is naive to say the least. In close that extras second or so of racking before engaging a deadly threat might just be the difference between walking away or going to the morgue.

Round chambered. This question has been settled by gun ‘experts’ (gun people knowing more than me about the subject). Like you all said, you won’t have the time to chamber one if you wait till you really need it.

You should always carry a round chambered. Even beyond how fast you think you can rack that slide you may very easily be in a position where that’s not possible. In a real up close confrontation you may be using your weak side to defend against an attack while drawing your weapon on your strong side. Nothing faster than being ready. I know that you can (with practice and the right mechanics) do a one handed rack. But not nearly quick enough.

we would practice weak hand shooting and you have to remember most service pistols at the time were shot one handed so racking from the holster was a quite nature action, plus most of the time it was worn cross drawn too. We would practice more transition from smg/rifle to pistol than a lot of other drills (othert than IA;stoppages) and before going on patrol we always load and add just because.

Under high stress, I’m a firm believer in the fewer steps there are, the better.

You might not forget to take a pistol safety off, or chamber a round, but you could. Carrying a safe-action pistol with a round chambered means you can’t mess up. Easy math.

I carry loaded, but there can be a time for both…If you work somewhere and move around a lot doing a job it could be peace of mind to have empty chamber in case of a fall or something…or maybe if you work in a big office and are not close to any entrances or exits where if someone came in and started shooting you could easily load and be ready…a lot of new gun owners and CC people in last few years from what I see want some peace of mind by owning and carrying, but may never have the mindset, confidence or skills to really be able to draw and fire in a bad situation…any new gun owner that comes into the fold and wants to feel safer is a good thing, may not always be the best thing…some will get the necessary confidence, some will never have it…

I carry with the round chambered and the safety on. Though I wonder if the safety is wise. It’s easy to flip it off as you draw, but if under extreme stress would I remember to do that? Also, my current carry gun is a 1911, so there’s the grip safety anyway.

Thoughts?

Unless you practice a lot flipping the safety off, you will likely fail during extreme stress. The action needs to be unthinking and natural.

Yeah, I probably need more dry practice. But what about leaving the safety off? Wise or unwise?

Safety?

I went from revolver to striker w/o thumb safety. KISS.

The only safety I’m sure of, is the one between my ears. Not carrying with one in the chamber is a self imposed safety. Restricting me just never worked. Born left handed, and left eye dominant was not good enough for the Nuns that were hell bent on making me a “righty” in handwriting. Being somewhat ambidextrous when I started shooting with both eyes open it seemed natural to me. But, shooting a handgun right handed at age 18 or so didn’t. That’s when I learned about crossdominance. Today I shoot right “strong side” handed but, I’m still left eye “cross” dominant. So now it’s all about muscle memory. Training, training and training. Having to rack my slide is not in my muscle memory.

This is my safety.

Is that a real tattoo? If so…cool. If not…it should be.

Sure is, it’s on my finger.

Put a ranger band the grip saftey and practice fliiping the saftey off with your thumb as you draw. You wont fail if you practice the movement alot, plenty of folks still use the 1911 platform and its still keeping people safe after a 100+ years of kicking ass and taking names.