Carry emergency cash for when the credit card machones don't work

I have a small stash of silver coins(gold would only be good for major purchases like land), mostly dines and quarters. And I keep a stash of cash in the safe just in case but I also invest most of my money into supplies. I always have 1/4 of beef in the freezer, plenty of dried supplies, paper goods(toilet paper, paper plates, paper towels etc), plastic silverware(if water supplies are down disposable eating utensils save the day!), canned goods etc.

5 Likes

I fully understand this concept. I live in a very small town. Some places dont have card machines and you have to have cash.

6 Likes

Yep

4 Likes

Question to all. (Limited to 10 users in a post)
@BoomstickTactical @Giantspeed @mquinn55 @LonewolfMcQuade @g.willikers @srdiver @Jtr @Wildlife @MaryB @gunarchy
Whatā€™s more valuable. The item on the right?, or the item on the left?

Some older data on ammo, current data on coin.

4 Likes

Item on the right

6 Likes

Well considering you need the stuff on the left to protect the stuff on the right, Iā€™m going with left(canā€™t believe I said that). Value and price are two different things.

8 Likes

Well at least you get it!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s tough, long-term silver. Short term , complete SHTF, grid down cenario, ammo!!! Till things would settle down calm enough for bartering etc. I take ammo!! Lot of killing gonna happen 1st 90 days. I suppose both would be important to have. But if I have enough firepower, I can take what I need!

4 Likes

FreudĀ·iĀ·an slip

ĖŒfroidēən Ėˆslip/

noun

1. an unintentional error regarded as revealing subconscious feelings.
6 Likes

& my other answer?

4 Likes

Head of the class along with equinn.
Does a 1st world country ( in a disaster) fallto a 2nd world country or a 3 world country having the enemyā€™s we have.

7 Likes

Well itā€™s not a one or the other.
I think both are important, both now and a SHTF situation.
Ammo obviously for defense, hunting etc. Silver as a store of value. Itā€™s not an investment. Depending on the situation cash may still be ok. But if the dollar goes the way it has in Venezuela, then silver for sure.

Back in 1963 a gallon of gas was about $0.30. So a quarter got you almost a gallon of gas. Today (even at this low of $14/oz) a pre 64 quarter (circulated junk silver) has a melt value of $2.53. The current average US gas price is $2.88. So that quarter still gets me almost a gallon of gas. If I hung on to a $1.00 bill from then it would only get me about 1/3 gallon.

In the mid 70ā€™s when South Vietnam fell and people were evacuating it wasnā€™t the poor ones that got on the boats. If cash has no value youā€™re poor no matter how much you have. And no amount of ammo would have helped them.

So everything depends on the situation. Sufficient amounts of both ammo, gold & silver and more basic supplies are necessary.

8 Likes

Great point, but your answer concerning the thread title and my question. Keep in mind Iā€™m not forcing an answer just something for all of us to think about.

7 Likes

I still say ammo. Then I can take someoneā€™s silver if I must

5 Likes

You mean ATTEMPT to take someoneā€™s silver.

6 Likes

I can imagine when we move somewhere out to rural ID/MT (maybe WY) in a few years we may run in to this very situation you speak ofā€¦

So, how much cash should you need to keep in the safe/on-hand in case of an issue of; vendors not taking cash, mild SHTF with a bank collapse or just in general to avoid using plastic? Iā€™m inclined to say something in the neighborhood of $1k~2k? What say you all?

5 Likes

Bear in mind (and hopefully never have to) when collecting the silver after the shot is takenā€¦ letā€™s hope it wasnā€™t mine before the shot.

5 Likes

1/3.
1/3 cash/ silver/ gold
1/3 ammo/guns/ tool
1/3 food

5 Likes

My brain is mush. I read that asā€¦

33% (answer to my question)
+33% cash/silver/gold
+33% ammo/guns/tool
+33% food

ā€¦

Wait a second, that shit doesnā€™t add up! ā† Yea, I actually thought exactly that. I get it now. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Liquor will be a great barter item in a SHTF scenario too. Canā€™t seem to stay stocked up on that though :thinking::crazy_face:

6 Likes