Carry pistols: Mod or keep stock?

I am following your collective thoughts for EDC and self defense purposes. I am considering the basic mods that can be defended in courts by virtue of general safety applications. Whatever enhances safe gun handling should be permissible but I might stop by the local Police and have the armorer sign off for retaining goals of public safety but also personal safety.

3 Likes

I’ve since taken the stance that tangible and beneficial modifications are the best way to go. Sights, trigger, grip tape, and a heavy captured recoil spring all ride on my carry SP2022. All of these make for a more shootable handgun, which means if I ever need to use it (hopefully not), I will be faster and more accurate. If I can stop the threat sooner, and reduce my chances of missing and hitting something not intended, I see no reason not to make these modifications. I’d rather be alive to explain myself.

Aaron Cowen of Sage Dynamics makes a bunch of good points on carry gun modifications, if any of you are interested. Notably, handguns are made for everyone and no one. A glock will fit most people’s hands, but it’s not designed to fit your hand. Make the gun work for you, don’t work around the gun.

4 Likes

My EDC is all tricked out. New parts. All painted. New trigger. Light. Laser.

I’ve heard the argument, but I’ve never once, in all my LE career, seen someone convicted of a slaying because of the makeup of his/her gun. I’ve heard of them try, but never a conviction. Even the “you’re fucked” AZ cops were acquitted.

11 Likes

I agree that a conviction would be very difficult in a legitimate self-defense case. However, I wouldn’t want to give them a reason to try.

4 Likes

Robocop1051, et al:

Take a look at Massad Ayoob’s writings. He has a background in law enforcement as well as writing gun-related articles and books. He often focuses on the legal issues.

4 Likes

Great info. Thank you.

3 Likes

If it is a good shoot than what parts are on your gun wont matter as long as they are legal. The only thing I can stress is training, training with the gun you carry and training for situations so you will make the judgment call and execute well with your weapon.

If you are more comfortable with different sights, a better trigger, etc. than do it. just train so you will wield the weapon safely and efficiently. That being said, a lot of carry pistols need no upgrades, if you believe you NEED to update your pistol out of the box, you might have picked the wrong one. I think the most important thing when shooting is comfort, if it isn’t comfortable in your hand than you wont shoot as well. for that reason, I believe grip upgrades are the most important for a carry gun. in a quick self defense situation, sights are going to be less important than you think, as are other things like triggers.

But if you want to mod your gun, I say do it because it is your constitutional right!

6 Likes

Duty; never
EDC SD; nope
Sport; of course!

Reasoning; too many scenarios in variations by States, District, DAs, and AGs. States vary GREATLY for laws protecting CCP holders and scenarios found in public.

The hook; there are possible criminal proceedings, and then there are civil proceedings which can occur no matter the outcome of the criminal process. If you have not studied your laws and case laws and politicians in GREAT detail and depth, just ask your self 1 question; How much am I willing to lose? (House, kids’ college money, 401(b)(k), pension, 
Therein lies the potential quick sand; These are decisions we each make individually, no different than what each of us might say during said incident/scenarios to either exemplify reasonableness, or Hollywood dumbaserry for a prison stay. It really doesn’t matter what somebody here says once in front of judge and jury.

6 Likes

I think it would be best to buy a factory gun configured the way you want it.

7 Likes

I try to keep my carry guns as stock as possible. That said, I just put the Lobos trigger in my VP9SK. I did have some reservations about it though. Still not sure how I feel about it, but I’m very pleased with the result. Its a great package.

5 Likes

Most STIs IMHO

2 Likes

I ONLY keep my Glock EDC factory because they are more reliable that way.
I would avoid mods that make you look trigger happy as that cant work well for you.
Ultimately in court you are defending your actions not your lack of taste however.

7 Likes

I like to add a set of night sites on mine. Three dot as my eyes are getting old and I can see them better. Other than that mostly stock I did also add a plus two extension on my glock 42 mags.

8 Likes

No mods on the CWP
I bought rock salt and lime instead
:wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

My Beretta 92FS I will probably keep stock, my Kimber has a trigger job done on it, went from 5.5lb to 3lb. I don’t carry it as much as the Beretta though.

4 Likes

Short of buying a custom built firearm, you are most likely buying a mass produced gun.
Massed produced guns are compromises. Most can be improved with a modicum of effort.
MOST have some weakness that can be addressed easily. Example, my CZ P-07 got a new upgraded firing pin retention pin before it fired a round. Sure, it would likely fire reliably, but I do a LOT of dry fire. It’s a known issue, and one that can be fixed for about$1
Also, tearing the gun apart and polishing the relevant surfaces does 2 things, 1, you get a better trigger, 2 you get to learn, and inspect any new to you gun.
The only reason these parts are not polished is because it would cost too much.
Recoil springs can be optimized for your personal choice of loading. Firing pins can be upgraded as well without issue.
Yes, of course I did all of this to my competition gun, but I also did, and will do this for my carry gun. Nothing I do will hurt reliability
it will likely improve reliability.
The things I do WILL help with accuracy (this is why most competition guns get these mods in the first place).
You can leave them stock, or you can make them better than stock. I have yet to find a case where someone was penalized for making modifications that improve reliability and accuracy.

5 Likes

These people argue against it

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/gun-modifications

I prefer to improve for improving sake

5 Likes

I agree. I rarely keep my guns in the stock configuration. At a minimum, I usually do a trigger and sight upgrade. I Cajunized both of my CZ’s
just because. They ran flawlessly out of the box, but they run even better now. :wink:

6 Likes

Lots of dust on this thread!

I think I put an Apex carry trigger (whatever Apex calls it) in my M&P. It actually increased the trigger pull.
That’s it. I considered putting a red dot on it, but my eyes are good for center mass out to any distance I’m likely to not be able to disengage so I didn’t bother. And unlike competition I don’t plan on saving any no-shoots so I should be good. Maybe someday I put a RDS on it. The fewer mods the less some scumbag lawyer can come up with that you’ll need to defend yourself against. Even if successful that costs $.

6 Likes

Meh, I never mod any gun far as triggers. I have put different sights on a couple. I did put an apex trigger kit in a S&W SD40. It made the gun useless. it wouldn’t work so I used just some of it. it made the gun trigger horrible to terrible. Me, i’m a tightwad. I don’t see buying a name brand 400 trigger unless maybe I was shooting competitively.

7 Likes