Casting Bullets

Well i start with range lead.

I melt that down into ingots in a muffin tin. Once you melt the lead all the dirt and copper jackets float to the top. You just scoop it all off.
To alloy the lead i take 20lbs off scrap lead and 2lbs of a foundry alloy and melt out together. First i melt the scrap and flux it with sawdust and candle wax. Then once cleaned of all the dross i add the alloy.

Once the alloy is mixed in i pour it back into muffin tins.

With a good casting alloy it’s time to start makin freedom pills.

21lbs of lead makes alot of freedom

So that’s how i spent my day loaded 500 .40’s this morning. cast a bunch of 40 freedom pills today. Next up powder coat and sizing. Then loading.

14 Likes

That’s pretty awesome!

11 Likes

Looks good, I have been casting bullets for 45 LC and 454 Casull, I had been buying cast bullets for 40 and 357 due to being so cheap, I may branch out and get some more moulds. I have been buying hard cast ingots, I have some range lead put up somewhere, may need to start picking up more at range.

8 Likes

Yeah i need to get more. I’m down to about 80lbs used 20lbs today. I need to cast some 45’s

11 Likes

Good luck, this thread reminded me I back ordered some, don’t look good for getting them either

@MAC82 I just planned on melting and pouring, whats with the mixing?

Might be I need to just ship you some lead, lets see, freight, and paying you for your time…

Should be a hell of a deal no?

:expressionless:

10 Likes

I like to use linetype and range lead mixed and try to keep it on the hard side of the scale . I have done it for years that way with good results in .45 cap and .38.

11 Likes

If you got @Belt-Fed 's :visa: it might be worth it.

Range scrap is soft lead the lead cores aren’t a hard alloy. Without tin and antimony the molds tend to not fill out well. The antimony hardens the lead and the tin helps “thin” the lead and that helps the lead fill out the mold. This alloy tends to work best at 600 degrees to 700 degrees. Any less and the bullets wrinkle any more and the sprue doesn’t cut clean.

10 Likes

The foundry alloy is a good substitute for lino type. 23% antimony 12.5% tin it takes less than mixing with linotype

11 Likes

:rage:

11 Likes

I worked at a paper when I was a kid and they switch away from line type and I got around 400 pounds of it . I also only use pure lead for muzzleloader bullets.

11 Likes

Nice score.

10 Likes

We sold ours when i taught printing, i still have a crap load of hand set type and other antique printing stuff i got when they unloaded it. I never taught that stuff anyway. we used offset.

11 Likes

I just went and looked and yeah there are no bullet molds to be had unless you ant to go to Ebay and pay the markup. Why do you need 6 two cavity molds?

8 Likes

I got a Lee 6 cavity .401 175gr mold that i broke the screw off that holds the sprue plate. If you want to mess with it i can send it to you.

9 Likes

I drilled the screw but couldn’t get the easy out to back it out. It’s an aluminium mold so it could be tough to extract. I gave up and bought another mold. I never got that mold to consistently drop good bullets anyway. I think it was user error. I was still learning when i used that mold.

9 Likes

Could you load up some 6.5 boolits and pour some powder in one of those brass thingys and stuff the boolit in and send them to me? i will gladly repay you on a Tuesday.

10 Likes

That would be a pricey. For 6.5 i use Lapua Brass and Match bullets. I think @LonewolfMcQuade has probably cleaned you out. :laughing:

9 Likes

When none is to be found elsewhere, one can’t quibble on such petty things as price, i have funds that even lonewolf don’t know about.

He don’t know it but the last account he stole that he thought was mine, was actually his i disguised as mine. he may be the one cleaned out. his southern bride may go upside his bald head with a bat when she finds out.

9 Likes

:laughing: :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl:
I am not licensed to sell remanufactured or in this case manufactured ammo.

9 Likes

Fine, you coulda just said buzz off, i aint loadin you nothin. buy yer own reloading stuff. :unamused:

9 Likes