Cell Hell

I’m wanting to change cell providers, wondering who’s adequate. Any suggestions? Preferably no contract. I was on Verizon employee family plan. Price was great, service was great, everything worked excellent everywhere. Unfortunately sweetheart employee discount came to an abrupt end at the end of September. To go alone would have been $60 per month. :fu: I want to keep my current Samsung galaxy note phone. Jumped on to Cricket wireless ($30 month) till I find something better, service not price(shouldn’t be difficult, tin can w/ a string would be an upgrade) Any advice/experiences or suggestions would be appreciated…I use under 1 gig data per month, usually on Wi-Fi unless in the woods

4 Likes

Dude. They ALL suck. ALL. OF. THEM. PERIOD.

You are better off finding a pre-paid plan that piggy-backs off of either Verizon, ATT or T-Mobile’s networks–in that order.

Avoid Sprint at all costs. Outdated networks and shitty tower technology.

5 Likes

If Verizon coverage is good in your area, look here to see if you can find a service that fits your needs.

4 Likes

I use tracpone, cheapo, it suxs , I almost care, people tell me cricket is very good

3 Likes

I hear ya. Issues I’m having now are: 1) carrier can’t handle sending pics over 1gb via text message. I have to manually turn off HD for pics i want to send in a text message 2) slower, 3) carrier keeps locking me out of my account once a week or so(claiming “due to repeated attempts to access your account, for your security, reset your passwords”) Fu@%ing annoying!!! 1st off, wasn’t attempting to access account more than once just to pay bill. I didnt forget my password! Attempted to rectify problems at physical store several times with NO luck. I even called customer service (India, Engish skills of a deceased cow) "We fix, no problem! Guess what? “Bob” no fu@%ing fix!!

2 Likes

My Southern Belle has T mobile through WALMART (i hate WALMART) but hers works good, $30 a month, no contract, pre pay. Rather find no WALMART lol. Tracphone, you have a smart phone or a dumb phone?

3 Likes

Thanks doc

3 Likes

I’m with Verizon, they are horrible here. Att ain’t no better.

4 Likes

You’re my hero. I clicked that link and am loving what I’m seeing (Visible especially). Wife and I were about to switch from Sprint to Verizon in anticipation of our relocation to the pacific northwest but this is a better option as Verizon is about to not allow older phone activations (I just love my old ass iPhone 5S). I refuse to buy a new phone out of both principal and practicality. Wife has an iPhone SE and I’m gonna have to replace my 5S with an SE ($100 for the win) and that’ll be it. Once they die it’ll be flip phone for us until we are told to go away.

4 Likes

I believe that some of the “bargain” cell companies that use the big companies’ towers have been bought, or invested in, by the big companies. I don’t remember who owns who anymore.
I say that you find what service has the best coverage where you spend most of your time and find a low cost plan that piggybacks on it. Some of them may require an unlocked phone. You can get those online much cheaper than in most stores.

3 Likes

You must be really rural and or in a valley? I know it mostly depends on topography in most areas but Verizon and ATT are the two best coverage carriers are the moment.

4 Likes

Happy to help.

3 Likes

I long expected this.

Already on it. Got our first iPhone SE unlocked for Verizon. Getting our second one here shortly. I hate it that Sprint uses CDMA which pretty much makes it so we cannot use our current phones with Verizon. Ugh.

4 Likes

He is in Arkansas. They put the cell towers in the valleys. :rofl:

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, I chuckled.

4 Likes

There are four towers real close to me, I kinda live on a hill. coverage still sucks.Verizon used to be really good here and then suddenly they sucked.

4 Likes

I hate it I can’t ban ya’ll anymore.:rage:

5 Likes

There are phones that have both capabilities. This is from an article in pcmag

Right now, some phones support all four carriers by combining CDMA, GSM, and LTE. The Motorola Moto G4, E4, and later; the Samsung Galaxy S7 and later; and Google Pixel phones all work across all four carriers. For iPhones, all iPhone 6 series and XS, XS Max, and XR phones work on all carriers. For the iPhone 7 and 8 generations, the Verizon, Sprint and unlocked models work on all carriers; the AT&T and T-Mobile units only work on AT&T and T-Mobile.

3 Likes

I have a Verizon unlimited data plan and I love it. It sure is expensive though, I understand your frustrations

4 Likes

I use straight talk. $55 a month for unlimited everything. They just added 15gig hot spot to that plan. You can buy the service online and dont have to go to walmart. I have good signal out here in the sticks and at work in town. The 4g internet is a lot faster than the satellite Internet we have here on the farm.

5 Likes