Chocolate Cake - Sugar Free/Gluten Free/Low Carb

This is for those of you still trying to do Keto/Low carb.

So it’s taken a while to get this recipe to taste like chocolate cake. It is fluffy and moist, and chocolatey. Pretty good considering it’s low carb and gluten free. I adapted this from the recipe that’s on the back of the Hershey Cocoa box (Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake)

It will make a single layer 8x8 pan or 9 inch round. I did that because I was testing - feel free to double it.

Oven: 350ºF

Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup Swerve - I used the confectioner version
1/2 cup Monkfruit Sweetener (use two different sweetners to combat the funky mouthfeel from Swerve alone)
1/2 cup fine almond flour
1/2 cup Whey Protein Isolate
1/2 cup Hershey’s Cocoa Power
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Wet ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg whites

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cut a piece of parchment to fit the bottom of pan and spray with non stick cooking spray. Sift all dry ingredient into a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, almond milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Beat the 3 egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the batter gently until well mixed. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Check on it after 30 minutes and cook until just set in the middle. Let it cool for about 15 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.

When it cools, it will fall some in the middle. So you’re going to have to level it if you want to decorate it. It was taste I was going after, so I didn’t care. Let me know if you make this and if you liked it.

I gotta thank @mquinn55 for being the guinea pig. Hope it was worth it.

5 Likes

My wife is celiac and is always trying things.
Of course I get to sample it…:expressionless:
One thing I can say is most the flour replacements are gritty like fine sand in them.
Almond flour seems the least like that but tends to go hard after cools overnight.
Does your recipe do this?
Gluten free is a biotch to deal with I know.
Everything seems to have wheat in it in some fashion.

3 Likes

I don’t care for cake or chocolate. But if I did I would rather eat tree bark than eat anything sugar free, gluten free.

Thanks for trying.

3 Likes

If you have netflix its time to watch some food documentaries

heres a good start

1 Like

The exposed edge got a little crusty overnight, but the inside is still moist. This is the closest thing to cake I’ve been able to come up with. It’s like a cross between a brownie and a cake.

If shes only concerned about gluten, then just use regular sugar instead.

Mark has celiac, too. And were trying to do Keto, so I went with sugar free

4 Likes

Careful with the Keto.
There is a Keto called Dirty Keto that consists of just Meat, Cheese, and Eggs.
My son was on that for some time and his hair started falling out and was tired all the time.
Be sure you include the Vegi side in that diet.

2 Likes

Oh, we are. I’ve never heard of dirty Keto though. My problem at the moment is dairy. Can’t do that either. :sob:

3 Likes

I dont eat cake . I will take a pie any time over cake .

2 Likes