Clean your Daily Carry 100%

I would have to assume everyone here has some sort of daily carry. From a pocket knife to a pistol. Maybe even a few are like myself and have a rifle.
Well here is something to think about… if you daily carry a firearm, you need to have a routine of cleaning it beyond just swabbing out the barrel.

ForFor the most part, this is my daily carry. A Sig P229r Scorpion in 40 S&W… if I am not carrying this, it is a Glock or a different sig.
Anyway… I do a complete takedown about every 4 months.

Now I do clean my side arm about once a week, maybe every 2 weeks. Take off the slide, clean the barrel, slide, wipe out the frame, blow out the parts with compressed air.

This is why you really have to be diligent… grime like this can great effect the reliability of your firearm.

I noticed when I pushed in the mag release it was just not smooth. The regular session with the Q tips were just not doing it. So… apart it comes.
If you do not have the training or the tools to take your firearm apart, 100% to clean it, take it to someone who can.
It is important… it should not be overlooked… lint, grit, and other junk can get into the mechanical system and at worst, prevent reliable operation or create a complete failure of the system.

So please… get your firearms really clean. Your life may depend on it.

All great advice. I specifically like this part I quoted. Whatever the case I wholeheartedly agree with keeping your daily clean.

It’s amazing how fast a edc can collect dust and lint

Yes!!! Clean the mags!!!
:thinking:
I just did this about a month ago… but I should have again for the photo! :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Good advice for sure.
When I got involved in regular local matches, up to three or four a month, I tried to come up with an easier cleaning method.
Here’s what I decided on:
Remove the grips.
Soak the entire pistol in so called odorless mineral spirits for awhile, while getting out the cleaning stuff.
Test polymer and painted frame guns for possible damage before hand, though.
Some discolor while others don’t.
Swish the pistol around in the mineral spirits some.
Then spray the whole gun with brake cleaner getting into every nook and cranny using a plastic nozzle attachment.
Again the reminder to test polymer and painted frames first.
Then blast the pistol with compressed air.
If you don’t have an air source, there’s cans of it available at computer and some hardware stores.
I found this method save a bunch of time and prevents mistakes in assembly.
Nothing worse than seeing an extra part still laying on the bench after putting everything back together - not.
Yuk.
Oh, yes, don’t forget to lube as you go.
Most pistols and revolvers have enough of an open design to dribble oil where it’s needed, (I prefer auto transmission fluid-cheap and very good lube).
I’ve been doing it this way for decades with nary a problem.
It’s greatly speeded up the process and simplified things.
And my guns got constant use, from all the matches and practice sessions, hundreds of rounds each month and umpteen thousands per year.
To test this way of cleaning, I used to occasionally completely disassemble guns as Rouge describes, just to see, but found it wasn’t necessary.
Just a thought.
Hope this speeds up and simplifies your gun cleaning as it has with mine.

Yes, totally agree!
But… as you can see from my photos, this doesn’t always get inside of parts. Actually the compressed air can force grit into the nooks and crannies where it can play havoc.
Thus, clean your weapon, do the best you can with what you have and your skill sets. But if you cannot 100% take your weapon apart for complete cleaning, take it to an expert who can.

This tiny piece of brass gave an intermediate failure to fire. By the outside of the weapon, it was completely cleaned. Dry fire show zero signs of any malfunction and manipulation of the firing pin show no signs either by obstruction or by feel there was an issue. Light primer strikes were the end result.
This could have been fixed in the field if need be…
Granted, this could have happened at any time. But this particular weapon had already seen 300 plus rounds being fire with zero issues before being cleaned in a very general manner. Placed back into service as a daily carry.
Back at the range a few months later, failure.
This is why knowledge and knowing how to properly clean a weapon is critical in any given situation especially in a SHTF scenario.
I have seen this exact same failure in an AR, Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, this Steyr M9, and in a 1911

Now I have NOT used a shop vac! Good idea on all that light lint and crap that gets into firearms.
:+1::+1::+1::+1:

This is a photo of the inside of a Colt SAA
I was told, rudely by the owner that both of his revolvers had custom triggers and not to mix up the parts. When I told him the issues and sent him photos he dismissed it. The internals needed to be replaced… I see this crap all the time. Hhahaha

“My rifle stoppstopped working… this thing fell out of it when I took it apart”
:roll_eyes:

I agree. Pocket lint defies the laws of physics. It’s worse than belly button lint! :rofl:

Hahhahaaaa

Doesn’t matter the platform, they get dirty. Do not wait till you start feeling issues! Clean them! Even your beloved hunting rifle needs to be cleaned!!