Cobra Kai TV series... unexpectedly good

I thought the first two Karate Kid shows were pretty good for what they were but this show I think is better.

It takes off 30 years after the 2nd Karate Kid and has to do with Johnny Lawrence opening Cobra kai back up.

Lawrence in his 50’s working a dead end job ,mistaken for a vagrant and drinking his life away while failing as a father decides to make a change in his life after meeting a nerdy kid that gets his ass kicked by bullies.

Being an 80s alpha male he never adapted or even paid attention to the times.He still drives an '85 Firebird blaring Poison, Foreigner, etc with the windows down. On top of that he does immature stuff like draw a dick going in Daniel Larousso’s mouth on his car dealership billboard ad.

He decides to take in misfits like fat kids, nerds, weak skinny kids and teach them how not to be pussies( his motto is even “Dont be a pussy”).

Ironically enough this antihero is pretty much the good guy while the Karate Kid is the yuppy asshole. Good show , way better than I thought it would be.

Worth a watch , its on Netflix

8 Likes

Ive seen 3 episodes on you tube. I would have gladly paid to see it.
Except Netflix is the devil, and I do not pay the devil his due

7 Likes

Its awesome.

7 Likes

I thought fools ball was the debil, just ask my momma

6 Likes

Been waiting a year for season 3 to starr.

7 Likes

The Mrs talked me into watching this with her. I was impressed at first blush -that is, until I realized this would have made a much better movie than a series. The problem with a series is they bring you so close to a final conclusion only to drive you back to square one with some ridiculous plot twist.

I haven’t decided if I’ll watch the third season when it’s released, because the only thing for certain is they’ll never land the damn plane, just keep circling the airport on this one. :rage:

6 Likes

I also don’t know if it would’ve helped or hindered if we’d of watched the original Karate Kid movie prior to watching this series (thoughts on this from anyone: would it detract from the overall experience in any way?). I also don’t think I ever saw KK2 or even knew there was a sequel to the original. :thinking:

6 Likes

I watched the original back when, it helped to understand some of the little things & jokes in the Cobra Kai series… HAD NO interest in see the part 2 or 3 movie sequels. I think #2 starred a chick, & #3 -was entirely ruined by using Will Smith’s talentless son. Like father, like son I guess

5 Likes

The first KK adds context but overall its watchable without having seen them.

6 Likes

The ona with Hilary Swank was garbage but not as bad as the one with Will Smith’s son.

6 Likes

I started watching the series last week after reading this topic. I’m conflicted am i supposed to be rooting for Johnny or Danielson, cause I’m rooting for Johnny to turn his life around but he keeps stumbling everytime you thinki’ll he is coming around. I’m a sucker for character development.

7 Likes

Lets create a new fad, if people can turn themselves around individually then that will grow to others around them and become the new mantra for the nation

#helpyourbrotherdevelopcharacter

5 Likes

I watched the first movie but not after that, I’m rooting for Johnny too.

6 Likes

Johnny is the anti-hero
Daniel is the original hero

Daniels character is annoying though , Johnnys character is likeable … So Johnny Lawrence is a better character.

Mr. Miyagi was the best character in the original, he made Daniels character tolerable but Johnny is the best character in the new one.

5 Likes

Hardley a fad , actual character development is a good thing

6 Likes

Dang. I had no idea there was more than one movie! Sounds like that’s been a blessing.

That’s how they get you strapped onto the yo-yo. They’ll keep wringing out the rag until ratings drop then leave us all hanging. It’s why I don’t usually watch these type of series. :rage:

6 Likes

I mostly only watch series AFTER they’ve been cancelled. I rather enjoyed Van Hesling, but they royally screwed the viewers where they cancelled it! One more F-ing episode, & it could have ended satisfactory… A$$holes!!!

5 Likes

Yep. People eventually become disenfranchised with the back and forth, realizing there is no end. Ratings drop and programs get cancelled. No ratings = no money = no ending. :rage:

4 Likes

Kk2 will help with season three. Original was the original. Part 2 is when miyagi and daniel went to Okinawa. Part 3 is when terry silver helped john kreese try to get cobra kai back and destroy Daniel and miyagi. Yall talking about pt4…“the new karate kid” with Hillary swank. And the kk movie for kung fu lol

6 Likes

Yeah theres 3 parts in the original. A trilogy if you will. After that it goes off the rails.

6 Likes