Code readers

what’s a decent one in the 100 to 150 buck range? my old one took a dump after many years. it was my fault too. i’m kinda eyeballing this one, any ideas if it’s a good one?

5 Likes

Not very familiar with these generic cheap code readers. We used to usually use a Snap-On unit that ran a couple Grand with programming that had to be updated every year. Should give you some generic codes, possible problems but usually very general in description and not always accurate on the true problem. If it’s for an older vehicle will be a little better than trying it on something fairly new. The more sophisticated the electronics are in a vehicle the less the generic will read.

6 Likes

As with guns, the tool is only as good as the ability of the user. We used to make our living with Ford and Chevy dealerships that had $expensive setups and paid $thousands to have the manufactures software unable to figure out how to properly use it or diagnose and we would end up getting that work. But if this one you’re looking at saves you just one trip to a garage or dealership, it’ll more than of paid for itself. I would say go for it

6 Likes

I have an Innova and it works well. It has both ABS and emissions menus and readers built into it. I paid $260 for mine. That is not exactly cheap in my book, but it works and that is what really matters to me. Mine is Innova model 3160B

DSA/dnc Is the enemy. Want proof, just look at California and watch Virginia.

6 Likes

I’ve used my old one many times to fix stuff and delete codes. I left the batteries in for a long time and one leaked bad and corroded up everything. I took it apart and cleaned it up. worked on it for a while . wires even broke. I soldered them back. it never would work…so a new one is on order.

7 Likes

My innova worked fairly well but didn’t have abs codes

7 Likes

Back when I used to program my own cars injection pulse widths I used a piggyback ECU and and autoenginuity to view the sensors actual interpretations at the main ECU. This was about 13 years ago so they’re reliability or accuracy may have changed since then. Kind of fell out of touch with that world.

However if I were you I would give autoenginuity a strong look. You have to have a laptop to use them or you did back when I used them but they not only would read codes they would monitor sensors. You can see air to fuel ratios as well if your car is equipped with the correct O2 sensor. They were great in my opinion. You can even buy specific vehicle packages that allowed for more readings on manufacture specific readings.

https://www.autoenginuity.com/

7 Likes

Don’t have a laptop.

7 Likes

Probably not the one for you then. I haven’t researched them in years but back then you needed one. May be able to do it on your phone now, who knows.

6 Likes

Just looked into it. Pretty sure it still needs a PC so never mind

7 Likes

Yeah they have an app for it…but…I have a flip phone.

7 Likes

You are old

6 Likes

Yes, I also hate phones.

8 Likes

Can’t blame you there.

6 Likes

So were talking about code readers!
Okay I’m game!

Mind you these are the ones at home and not at work.
Anything made by Autel is amazing. I even code vehicles with mine, but if your looking for just a cheaper code reader to get you buy the Launch CRP129 ain’t bad.

Here is one of the newer models and it’s in your price range!
https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-Code-Reader-Transmission-Touchscreen/dp/B07RLF8FBC/ref=mp_s_a_1_10_sspa?keywords=launch+crp129&qid=1578361502&sprefix=launch+crp&sr=8-10-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWlNJUjVOV0s2Ulk3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzc2MTk4M0hDQklQMFdUT1JQTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTU3OTY1MkpDOVpaTEk1QTlGTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

8 Likes

Looks like a man with experience there

7 Likes

Yeah fortunately or unfortunately I do 22years now.

7 Likes

Have you ever used autoenginuity?

6 Likes

Nice, i’ll look at it more. What’s the one on the far right?

5 Likes

No but I have used autologic but that one is realllly expensive. I have seen it and played with it very little when tuning on the dyno.

7 Likes