Concealed Carry Training

9 Likes

Some good valid points here.
Good post.

8 Likes

funny I have been saying that for years about the Takicool approach to handguns and the training. I have been against the squared up Isosceles stance for defensive shooting. Works good on the range and it’s great if you are someone wearing body armour and set up for the offensive attack, but only increases your total target area. Most people setting up for a defensive draw will instinctively turn the firearm away to shield it from view (both close in and with distant targets). It make sense to protect your protection and squaring bold to a threat takes enormous amount of fortitude when in fact you want to duck behind the nearest shrub.
Only a fool will stand there to get shot - so you will either eliminate the threat with accurate fire or suppress the threat so you can get to a position of safety. And because this is all defensive actions you are retreating. And in the real world the threat will present in a direction you most likely were not expecting it.

7 Likes

here is a video from a “new” producer that explains my feelings on the dashing cowboy, good guy with a gun charging in to with the intent to close with the bad guy to rival Die Hard.

ultimately our responsibility is to ourselves and our family.

4 Likes

This is an older topic that is very relevant with the new rash of reported shootings (they have always been there even if they are not reported in the news). Stay aware of your surroundings and don’t try to be the hero if your or your loved one’s life doesn’t depend on it if it means losing your life.

4 Likes

I attended a training to respond to active shooter events. It was at a different place of worship than mine, and I didn’t realize that they had a no-guns policy. However, since they had armed officers there, I decided to risk it and see what they had to offer.

They had several unannounced blank-fire simulations, during which I responded by getting low and getting out. It bothered me that with the first scenario, I left a visiting family member behind while saving myself. I don’t ever want to repeat that mistake.

5 Likes

ok, that sounds dangerous as I gather

you were carrying?

Seems like an unannounced shooter could well have ended with “that’s how you do it”

I’m sure that is regretful, but on the upside, you didn’t kill the simulator

3 Likes