Congrats Tennessee

What an appropriate section to post this in… Open Carry.

14 Likes

:partying_face:

11 Likes

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

11 Likes

Every American already has Constitutional Carry. Some are just currently having their rights violated.

11 Likes

But only for people who wouldn’t have any trouble passing the background check for the TN ‘enhanced’ handgun carry permit,

and only when they are carrying a handgun,

and only in places where they have “a right to be”,

and the ‘gun free zones’ that over the years have had exceptions created for people that have the ‘enhanced’ handgun carry permit, are still ‘gun free zones’ for people that don’t have a carry permit.

The actual Constitutional Carry bill was apparently allowed to whither from lack of attention, while this watered down bill got all the attention.

Par for the course, in TN. Next year there’ll be at least one bill to fix the problems with the new law. Getting it right the first time, just doesn’t happen.

6 Likes

uh-oh, whats that mean, you have to be up do date on your dog licence tags, lawn must be green, garbage cans in by 11am?

4 Likes

About 15 months ago, they added “enhanced” to the name of the handgun carry permit that had been around for over two decades. The reason was that yet another Constitutional Carry bill had been allowed to die from lack of attention, due to the ‘concealed only’ carry permit bill being introduced as a sensible alternative to Constitutional Carry.

The ‘concealed only’ bill was presented as a free (well, not really free, but cheaper fee) permit that you could get without training (well, not really, but taking an online class is certainly less hassle than an ‘in person’ 8 hour class where you have to shoot 50 rounds at ranges from 3 yards to 15 yards and get at least 70% of the rounds on a human silhouette - anywhere on it), to carry a handgun (except in areas that had originally not been allowed with the old permit, but ‘exceptions’ to the laws prohibiting guns in those areas were gradually added for the old permit).

“To avoid confusion”, the old permit had “enhanced” added to the name, since it already allowed open or concealed carry, and carry in various areas (such as public parks) that the new permit did not. The end result was that people who really didn’t keep up with our carry laws, thought that the ‘concealed only’ permit had been around for a while, and the “enhanced” permit (which had not been changed at all, except for the name) was this new great improvement in our carry laws, since it allowed carry in more places and even open carry.

The NRA had sent out emails to members in the state, shortly before the ‘concealed only’ bill went to the floor for a vote, asking them to make calls asking for it to be passed, and listing all the advantages of this bill (most of them had already been removed from the bill by amendments that had been tacked on fairly early in the committee process) for TN gun owners. After it passed, additional emails were sent out, declaring it a great victory. The TFA had sent out emails simply stating they couldn’t see the point of the bill, once the amendments were added, and after it became law, there were questions raised about the possibility of other states deciding they were no longer going to recognize the TN carry permits, since some states had previously made a fuss over whether or not they would continue recognizing TN carry permits, when the minimum age was dropped to 18 for members of the military (state website currently lists Nebraska and North Dakota as not recognizing the ‘concealed only’ permit, but still recognizing the old permit - around 10 other states won’t recognize TN carry permits held by anyone under 21).

When this current bill was headed to the floor for a vote, the NRA sent out emails urging members to make calls asking for it to be passed, and included a vague statement about “faux gun rights groups” spreading misinformation about the bill and working with anti-gun groups. Not sure who they were talking about, but the TFA is the only other group who I had noticed talking about the bill, and they were pointing out that there were 3 Constitutional Carry bills pending, and that the one that ended up passing was the weakest of the three. When it was scheduled for a floor vote, they sent out emails pointing out that it wasn’t too late to amend the bill and remove some of the restrictions, and listed the points where it could be improved.

Think of being a Tennessean wanting to carry a gun, as being a person sitting in their favorite burger restaurant. They see the waitress walking toward their table with a platter with a burger and fries, and start wondering if that is for them, as their mouth waters. Then the waitress walks up, says “Have a cookie” as she hands them a cookie, then walks off to another table with the burger and fries. We got our cookie some time ago, and we now have some chips and salsa. Maybe in a few more years, we’ll finally get that burger (though the fries may take another year or two).

4 Likes

Oops. I forgot the requirements for passing the background check for getting the “enhanced” permit.

• at least 21 years old (or at least 18, if in the military and finished with basic training)

• valid TN driver’s license (get it pulled for unpaid parking tickets, and they pull your carry permit, too)

• nothing on your record that would prevent you from passing the federal background check to buy a handgun from a dealer

• no DUIs in the last 5 years, and no more than one DUI in the last 10 years

I don’t remember if it is listed as a disqualifier for the carry permit, but the new Constitutional Carry law states that a ‘stalking’ record means it is illegal for the person to carry a handgun (misdemeanor).

4 Likes

Yep,

BS now and likely more to come

It sure is neat how they can comfort you though,

I suppose this has the same potential

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/04/01/marijuana-disqualification-question-4473/

5 Likes

I would expect nothing less from the current administration. What difference does it really make if he bans all the guns?

5 Likes

“And before you get too excited, we urge you to check the calendar.”

4 Likes

The “blood in the streets” talk is ramping up.

‘I’m almost speechless’: Memphis Police Director reacts to passing of permitless carry legislation in Tennessee | WATE 6 On Your Side

Here’s what I can find of the text of the bill, on the state legislature’s website:

This bill creates an exception to the offense of unlawful carrying of a firearm, if a person meets the qualifications for an enhanced handgun carry permit, lawfully possesses a handgun, and is in a place that the person has a right to be; and revises other firearm statutes, all as discussed below.

Under present law, it is an offense for a person who carries, with the intent to go armed, a firearm or a club. This bill adds an exception to the application of this offense that a person is carrying, whether openly or concealed, a handgun and:

(1) The person meets the qualifications for the issuance of an enhanced handgun carry permit;

(2) The person lawfully possesses the handgun; and

(3) The person is in a place where the person has a right to be.

Under present law, the holder of a valid enhanced handgun carry permit or concealed handgun carry permit recognized in this state may, unless expressly prohibited by federal law, transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the permit holder’s motor vehicle while on or utilizing any public or private parking area if:

(A) The permit holder’s motor vehicle is parked in a location where it is permitted to be; and

(B) The firearm or ammunition being transported or stored in the motor vehicle: is kept from ordinary observation if the permit holder is in the motor vehicle; or is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, glove box, or interior of the person’s motor vehicle or a container securely affixed to such motor vehicle if the permit holder is not in the motor vehicle.

This bill extends the applicability of the above provisions to a person who lawfully carries a handgun pursuant to the provisions of this bill described above in (1)-(3).

The present law provisions governing enhanced handgun carry permits provide that the permit holder must have the permit in the holder’s immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and must display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer. This bill revises this provision to instead provide that the permit holder must have the permit in the holder’s immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun in a location or manner that would be prohibited if not for the person’s status as an enhanced handgun carry permit holder and must display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer under such circumstances.

Similarly, the present law provisions governing concealed handgun carry permits provide that a person issued a concealed handgun carry permit must carry the permit at all times when carrying a handgun pursuant to this section and must display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer. This bill revises this provision to instead provide that the permit holder must have the permit in the holder’s immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun in a location or manner that would be prohibited if not for the person’s status as a concealed handgun carry permit holder and must display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer under such circumstances.

Under present law, theft of property or services is a Class A misdemeanor if the value of the property or services obtained is $1,000 or less. This bill enhances the penalty for the theft of a firearm so that it will be a Class E felony if the property obtained is a firearm worth less than $2,500. For firearms valued at $2,500 or more, the present law penalty provisions will apply. Also, under present law, theft of a firearm is punished by confinement for not less than 30 days in addition to any other penalty authorized by law. This bill increases the maximum period of confinement from 30 to 180 days.

Present law requires a court to consider certain enhancement factors when sentencing a person. This bill adds as an enhancement factor the fact that the offense for which the person is being sentenced involved the theft of a firearm from a motor vehicle.

This bill provides that for the offenses listed below committed on or after July 1, 2021, there will be no release eligibility until the person has served 85 percent of the sentence imposed by the court, less sentence credits earned and retained. However, no sentence reduction credits may operate to reduce below 70 percent the percentage of sentence imposed by the court such person must serve before becoming release eligible. The offenses to which this provision applies are:

(1) Unlawful possession of a firearm by a person convicted of a felony crime of violence, an attempt to commit a felony crime of violence, or a felony involving use of a deadly weapon;

(2) Unlawful possession of a firearm by a person convicted of a felony drug offense;

(3) Unlawful possession of a handgun by a person convicted of a felony; and

(4) Unlawfully providing a handgun to a juvenile or permitting a juvenile to possess a handgun.

ON MARCH 18, 2021, THE SENATE ADOPTED AMENDMENT #1, AND PASSED SENATE BILL 765, AS AMENDED.

AMENDMENT #1 revises this bill’s exception to the offense of carrying, with the intent to go armed, a firearm or a club. Under this bill, it will be an exception to such offense that a person is carrying, whether openly or concealed, a handgun ,and:

(1) The person is at least 21 years of age, or is at least 18 years of age and has been honorably discharged from military service or is on active duty and has completed basic training;

(2) The person lawfully possesses the handgun; and

(3) The person is in a place where the person is lawfully present.

This amendment creates a new offense whereby it will be a Class B misdemeanor offense for a person who meets any of the following criteria to carry a firearm with the intent to go armed:

(1) Has been convicted of stalking;

(2) Has been convicted of DUI two or more times within the prior 10 years, or one time within the prior five years;

(3) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective, judicially committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution, or had a court appoint a conservator for the person by reason of a mental defect; or

(D) Is otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm by federal law as it existed on January 1, 2021.

Edit: The above is the summary of the bill, so the precise details will depend on what wording the bill inserts into existing laws, and what lines are deleted from existing laws.

4 Likes

It does everywhere permitless carry passes. The folks who state that are morons. If it’s a cop they should be looking for a new job. The scumbags are already carrying. They’re lawless and a law stating that it’s illegal for them to carry means nothing. The folks who this WILL impact are law abiding folks. It makes them more equal to the lawless folks who are already carrying. A cop who doesn’t understand that either has the IQ of turnup, or someone who wants high crime for job security.

But everywhere it’s been tried it has worked great and all the dire predictions have proven ridiculous. Again, because the criminals are already carrying.

Those are some pretty ridiculous training requirements but maybe mine are too. I’m an instructor and I train differently. I want to see safe gun handling. Without that they fail. As far as shooting, if someone can only hit the 8" paper plate from contact distance I tell them just how badly they suck and to limit their shooting to contact distance and suggest that they train some more. Yes, I’ve had self proclaimed experts tell me how wonderful they were. Then when it comes time to show me all of a sudden they have all sorts of excuses. One that comes to mind immediately had to move so close to the paper plate that he shredded it with the muzzle blast from one shot. He told me that he wanted his permit for coyotes when walking in the woods. But I suppose that with the handgun in the coyotes mouth so that he could make the shot he wasn’t going to get bitten :laughing: . But he had safe gun handling. I’m just not going to withhold a carry permit from someone needing SD. Now anyone not prohibited can carry in Maine. The folks who are prohibited carry anyway and always did.

6 Likes

LOL, thanks :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The range time is after sitting through a lecture on gun laws, gun safety, watching a video where two lawyers explain various things about gun laws and interacting with police during a traffic stop, and taking a short written test on the material that was covered. Unsafe handling of the gun is supposed to be grounds for failing the range qualification, but the instructor is watching and giving step by step commands, so you’d have to not be able to follow simple instructions to not pass that part.

Everybody in the class I was in, passed without any trouble.

4 Likes

In Florida it’s a 4 hour class unless your are military or law enforcement. I just gave them my dd214 and application and got my Florida CCW. In Georgia you just apply and get it, no class required.

4 Likes

I learned today that a DD214 works in Maine too.

JPN, for what it’s worth I don’t give range commands. I show them the target (after the classroom) then I set them loose under my supervision. They get one warning depending on their attitude. I also don’t have classes, I tutor so it’s intensive and definitely interactive.

5 Likes