Contemporary Rifles to Consider for Defense

Clint Smith supposedly used most of these rifles in combat, he was both a Marine in Vietnam then a LEO. His preference is an m14 and 1911 from what I remember but he dosnt scoff at an AR or Glock with the right ammo.

Clint Smith: “I have been shot by this rifle so I know it works” :rofl:

9 Likes

Dont forget a 1000 mags to go with the rifle

5 Likes

In and around my home my Mossberg Shockwave with arm brace is hard to beat, short and easy to handle, outside the property it will be my AR15 SBR…I am growing very fond of my PSA KS47 and would trust it also.

4 Likes

Well, if he got shot with it and is still alive to tell that, then it didn’t work.

6 Likes

Yea it did. Just cause it didnt kill him dosnt mean it didnt do its job maybe he is just a stubborn sob who didnt want to die. The rifle is a mechanical device and it functioned it did its job fine. The enemies plan didnt workout too well though.

3 Likes

What was the first long gun that he grabbed after he started talking about california where he said “this is just a plain rifle”?

3 Likes

RedAngel Springfield M1A I’m thinking.

5 Likes

Thank you. I was just looking at them. I like the looks of the M1A socom 16

5 Likes

M1A, M14 and 1911 are like the Harley Davidsons of firearms, nice to look at and play with but when it comes down to defense and fighting… No thanks

4 Likes

OK, well, this is going to be a pretty broad question. So what I have is the Garand, and a Ruger American.243
If I am looking for a large caliber rifle, easy to handle (not to heavy or large), and a gentle recoil for it’s size, what should I be looking at? Caliber and rifle suggestions. I don’t have any use in mind here, which is why I always say SHTF possibly hunting down the road. I know there’s a ton of options out there, but you guys seem to have a good assortment, what would you suggest, that also doesn’t cost a fortune ( lets say up to $1300. Is that doable?) and the ammo isn’t going to break the bank. I don’t think there’s any wrong answers here, so give me some stuff to look up.

Let me add, I like the idea of a magazine but also like the idea of being able to load one round manually if need be.

5 Likes

Diamondback arms, 6.5 creedmore.

5 Likes

Are you answering my quesiton @Belt-Fed ?
Is the 6.5 creedmore a readily available round?

4 Likes

Don’t have any experience with Diamondback arms but it could very well be a good one… 6.5 Creedmoor is an excellent round! Some loads have Better performance than the .308 Win. However if it’s a SHTF scenario I’d go with the more common and readily available .308

The AR-10 varients are becoming slightly more standardized and very reliable. Becoming very easy and affordable to build yourself.
Personally I’d go with a receiver and forend set from Aero Precision, good quality BCG and parts kit with a nice drop in trigger unit from maybe Timney, Rise Armament, CMC, Elf or even the Velocity ones are good.
On the cheeper side, hard to beat the Palmetto State Armory PA-10. I have first hand experience with several of these and they have been very reliable and accurate! The trigger sucks so the first thing I would change is that, second would be the charging handle to one of those bigger ambidextrous units. Then you’d have a solid rifle that is much more ergonomic!
Most of the above is based on the DPMS platform and stocks, grips and triggers are compatible with the AR-15…

7 Likes

Well just like the FAL and G3 they are definitely old tech and obsolete in alot of ways but im pretty sure they are still a decent option if a person is willing to learn to use and maintain them. They are battle tested designs, the guy in that video is a combat vet and likes his m14s and 1911s. To be fair he does advocate glocks and AR15s to people for something easier to use.

5 Likes

Prices are stupid high on FALs and M1As though. No way should they cost as much as they do.

5 Likes

Sure, I agree. However as you mentioned “maintain” some of the above are getting harder to find and even harder to find decent parts. A weapons system is nothing if there is no support. I think the AK platform is extremely reliable and a great battle cartridge ( 7.62x39 ) but even that seems to be slowly declining… Just not the demand for sustaining a viable support system. IMHO…
I don’t particularly love the AR but it’s the most handy, ergonomic, reliable enough system ** with backup support ** that we have currently.

6 Likes

BLASPHEMER!

and

According to Bloomberg of all the Harleys every built since 1903, 70% are still on the road.

so…

DOUBLE BLASPEMER

signs of possible redemption

6 Likes

Oh yeah, now they won’t be as plentiful as 308 but there is a lot of different bullets and about every manufacture makes them. they will reach out and touch something too., deer was killed at 700 yards. Diamondbacks are an excellent rifle for the money

Picture1128181535_1

8 Likes

Nice, i expected you to be more the type that shoots bambi not a buck.

4 Likes

For size comparison. from left to right 300 blackout, 224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 creedmore and 308

7 Likes