Could a 300 BLK can handle low pressure 223Rem

Good Day All. I have a GMT-300BLK can that I’ve owned for a few years and have shot lots of supers and subs out of it. I was reviewing subsonic 223 loads to consider if I stayed on the low end of the load charts, would the pressure hurt the can. The load I am considering uses Hodgdon BL-C(2) and lists 41,900 PSI. I would of course use the correct upper and have the thread adapter as well.

Has anyone done this through a “dedicated” 300BLK can?

Thank you all for the anticipated responses, even if they do come in somewhat colorful.

5 Likes

@Tactical_Reviews I believe has pics

4 Likes

Sounds like your concern is muzzle pressure that would enter the can. I don’t suspect that will be an issue. The 300 blackout is a heavier bullet, but slower velocity. The .223 round will have a bit more space around it as it passes through the baffles.

4 Likes

Maybe @SuppressedNation_Chris or @SuppressedNationJoey can help

4 Likes

Shouldn’t be a problem. If you load low pressure rounds for 223 the gun probably won’t cycle.

6 Likes

Thank you

3 Likes

That is along the lines of what I was thinking, but a man has to know his limitations. Thank you for the info, now I am going to work up a few rounds and see how it performs.

4 Likes

Thanks

4 Likes

I really like their reviews

4 Likes

I would say subsonic 223 would be completely safe in it. I’ll shoot a message to two of the guys that worked at gemtech that probably abused a can or two to see what it can actually handle. I’ll let you know or see if I can get them over here to respond.

5 Likes

Chris that would be awesome and thank you for the effort. I thought about 55gr, then realized that 77gr would be better.

3 Likes

You want heavy grain 223subs that cycle check out allegiance ammo. I’ll see if I can get them on this thread as well

5 Likes

Wow, thanks again. I am headed to the range now with my daughter, but only plan to shoot some 300 and maybe some 9mm. I am looking forward to working up some ammo now.

4 Likes

I must be missing something.
Fire a .223 round through a .30 caliber barrel?
A 300 blackout is .30 caliber, yes?

4 Likes

A can

3 Likes

From Blake the guy who designed the gm300

“The answer is yes. But if it gets hot and they slip in supers it will bend the core”

Hope this helps

7 Likes

Good Afternoon All. I apologize for the late response, but I was out at the range for a few hours.

I know that 223 will transit the 30 cal can, but I was wondering if the pressure would negatively impact the core. I see that Chris received an answer from Blake and I am good to go now.

Thank you to everyone and I will come back with an update after I’ve worked out the load and tested it.

I just had the gas port on my rifle adjusted and I am going back out to the range.

Have a great day.

5 Likes

Better than a note from your Dr. :grin:

2 Likes

Once you get that load data please post video

1 Like

I almost puked after reading that. I swear that is where I was. If I am lying; may my trigger finger fall off.:innocent:

2 Likes