Crimping 45 ACP?

Just seeing what’s out there. Reloading some 230gr fmj .45 ACP for the 1911 and was wondering if you taper, roll, or leave it be? Personally, I’ve always tapered just slightly to help feed.

9 Likes

taper slightly

10 Likes

It headspaces on the case mouth so I just straighten the case. More than that can lead to mega trouble. The expander ball needs to be slightly undersized to prevent the bullet from setting back into the case from recoil. You should see the bulge from the base of the bullet from outside the case.

11 Likes

Taper slightly.

9 Likes

I taper crimp to .469

4 Likes

Mine end up at .470 - .471

4 Likes

Slight taper

5 Likes

Taper crimp, just a whisper of it.

6 Likes

Exactly. Neck tension, not the crimp, is your friend.
Over crimping just smashes the bullet and the brass springs back.

5 Likes

I look forward to the not yet ex moving out and clearing her junk piles out of my cave. I never reloaded before, but will start, and do it slow. I don’t need another hobby. I just need to be prepared to do it myself.

5 Likes

lol it will turn into a hobby very quickly. expensive at first, but Ive saved soooo much from not buying ammo, and the way everything is going, you may not be able to even find ammo. I do it because it definitely is a chill hobby to do in your spare time, and among other things (SHTF, etc.)

5 Likes

Round up components on sale when you don’t have time to reload, get a good stockpile built up when the hoarders aren’t watching, then you will be well stocked and reloading when times are slow and everyone else will be like “where can I get powder?” “OMG I’m out of primers” “the only place to get bullets is CTD and they are price gouging again/still!”

7 Likes

Initial setup in reloading doesn’t have to be to expensive. I say under $500 probably less that includes components to load your first 1000 rounds. It all depends on what your goals are.

5 Likes

Back in the early 2000’s, MidwayUSA frequently had sales and a free shipping option for 2,000 rounds of Rainier bullets. They were sent in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box. The mailman hated me. LOL.

5 Likes

I just posted a topic about beginning reloading it is all about what you want to get out of it. If you read it and have questions (which you should) it’s a long post but it is the real meat and taters of what you need to consider before you take the plunge. If you read the whole thing you will know the right questions to ask to get advise on where to start.

5 Likes

And watch for rebates, I bought RCBS and at the time I got $175 rebate!

4 Likes