Cutting a 1911 slide for a bushing barrel

Commander length military looking slide, wanted M15ish build. Slide had no bushing cut, Didn’t want a bull barrel build on this one.

Think this was a Fusion or remsport match fit barrel and bushing, came out tight!

10 Likes

Oh, forgot the plans…

13 Likes

Excellent work! Love seeing pics like this.

7 Likes

Well done. I prefer the bushing slides over the bull barrel slides. I may have to give this a try soon. I got a Bridgeport Prototrak CNC a while back and this would work well on there.

10 Likes

Oh, Man, that would have been nice for this project. I generated a pile of ordinate points for a .625 and .375 cutter, painstakingly loaded them into the DRO’s SDMs, and carefully moved from point to point. Just loading the 2 arcs into a cnc would have been golden.

Capture3

EDIT: It only takes a few minutes to post these photos up, but an unimaginable amount of time goes into setting it up before making chips fly. If time and money was an issue it would be way better just buying a bushing slide , or just go to the LGS and buy a commander!

9 Likes

It’s bout the journey, not the destination.

7 Likes

My challenge right now is getting the Prototrak CNC to talk to my laptop. I’m close, but just not there yet. If I can get it working I can store the CNC files on the laptop and do an upload to the Prototrak. Making the *.DXF file on the laptop is far better than manually inputting everything on the Prototrak panel. I have been playing and was able to figure out how to do a circle. After the move, I’m going to be looking at a 5-axis tool changer CNC. It’s big bucks, but worth the investment. Just clamp the material down start the program and walk away.

9 Likes

The great thing about non-bushing slides is not having to worry about cutting into the locking lug channel when doing HP slide cuts.

@albroswift one of the things I plan to get along with a larger mill is a rotary table.

8 Likes

True that.

I have one but really need a monster to work inside a slide on end. Lots of leverage against it and don’t think my bench mill would be big enough to stack a big rotary table and a slide on end anyway. Probably not stiff enough either. CNC way to go.

7 Likes

True

4 Likes