Didn't make shot but did something even better

I got to play with a real FG42 for the last few days. Talk about a marvel of design for a 75 year old weapon.

2 Likes

OMG, I’m so freaking envious! You’re killing me! How was it?

2 Likes

So nice I was considering selling the house for it.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Too bad the OP isn’t around to tell us about it

2 Likes

I visit here every day usually, what do you want to know.

3 Likes

the pictures for a start…

3 Likes

This website is the one that screws with the picture due to their size.

4 Likes

So did how did you get your hands on this bad boy? Is it a friend that let you use it?

1 Like

The owner was traveling through the area and stayed at my home. I had a great time playing with his machine gun toys he was hauling.

4 Likes

Wish I could have that kind of experience

3 Likes

You say you’re a mechanical engineer working for various firearm companies in your profile. What do you think the odds are that we’ll see firearms ran by super capacitors shooting intense lasers or powering Hand held rail guns?

the tech is there - the power source isn’t

1 Like

I disagree. Ultracapacitors and supercapacitors are coming a long way and I would bet money that if not there China is getting very close.

Under Obama our military spending sank too much to compete with chinas supercapacitor tech and they may be a lot closer than you think. The only reason Lockheed was able to burn a hole into a cars engine was because of private advances made in lithium batteries by Tesla.

I would really like the insight from someone in the industry.

1 Like

and that is the catch would - the battery, which is nothing more than a magazine and is the limiting factor both due to weight, size and all things - temperature (both atmospheric and internal)

1 Like

I understand that but Supercapacitors I believe have different characteristics. They also charge much faster and deliver their energy faster. I believe they too get warm but I don’t know at what rate. They are what intrigues me the most.

2 Likes

you still have to get the magic from one form of storage to the other.

2 Likes

That’s true but charging can come from a variety of methods.

2 Likes

as long as it is green
otherwise

1 Like

My experience as an engineer in the firearms and the petrochemical industries really doesn’t have much background application into energy weapon development.

I would like to think they will eventually have the ability to duplicated chemical energy with electromotive propulsion but on a hand held basis I do not see it happening without some serious power storage breakthroughs.

As for laser weapons, they will be of very limited use on a large scale basis in my opinion. You really can’t have suppression fire from a short duration impulse beam weapon. There is not any real beaten zone capable with such a weapon. They are great for precision type of engagements and specialty applications but once again you need a very large electrical generator to make the power that you get from a small amount of smokeless powder in a chemical reaction.

7 Likes