Do AR owners dream of Subsonic sheep?

…or is it just the range population that have pushed the Subsonic format?

Just thinking…I don’t want an AR to shoot slower than most of my handguns. What is the real attraction of Subsonic loads?

7 Likes

many reasons, remember, everyone is different of course. i have a sbr that will actually cycle 300 blackout as slow as 650 FPS. so first, i am a suppressor snob in a way… yes, i want “movie” quiet as often as possible. i love playing with and pushing those limits. second, hunting, noise signature makes a huge difference, even a slight change. not sure about other ranges but around here i can actually shoot my subsonic loads on the pistol ranges, things like the steel pits, shoot houses, etc so that is a perk as well and lots of fun. i honestly think most people fall into your camp than you think, most only care about hearing safe… i fall in a camp far beyond that but i have owned suppressors for many years, not one of the recent fad boys or late bloomers, so to me, while they are awesome, they are old news and i need a little more spice behind them, hearing safe ain’t enough.

5 Likes

It’s just a curiosity to me. Subsonic has never been much discussed where I am from, and the few ranges here won’t even consider AR pistols no matter what loads.

I have never really been into suppressors either, so I have no real opinion.  I think they are useful but never wanted to jump through the hoops to get one.

I have never put a lot of thought into many things regarding firearms beyond personal protection, of which my 629 has saved my life twice.  Now, though, I have started pondering more things as I see more and more gun wonks doing their latest "lookie what I got" videos and begging for money do they can buy more.  The; "What drives trend" philosophy has always intrigued me about most things I am interested in.
4 Likes

wow, somebody got opinions of people that create content don’t they? going all negative with someone’s reasoning instead of a more positive route like they are doing it to keep the firearm culture a part of society as it should be. not real sure where the person thinks it is all about making money to buy the next thing though. that right there should a disconnect between those who are not active engaged viewers and the creators they follow.

1 Like

back on the suppressor thing, yeah, i get ya, location will of course make a huge impact on how the majority of people feel about something. on the ranges, a lot of ranges are starting to open up since pistols are so popular now to the idea of letting at least pistol caliber stuff go live fire on the pistol ranges. i think for most ranges this is just a matter of not updating their rules, policy and bylaws to keep up with technology and the times. and sadly, most ranges are ran by older dudes that are somewhat fuddish in nature, which speaks to the former.

2 Likes

I can see subsonic and a suppressor on a home defense gun where the noise would hurt you almost as much as the intruder you shot.lol I don’t care for an SBR or muzzle brake because of the noise. But also if you put a supp. on an SBR then you are adding to the length to almost be a carbine so the short barrel is nullified.

I don’t care for an AR pistol either. I have one but you can’t shoot it without hearing protection. I bought it for a home defense but the noise kills that idea. no intruder will wait while you put ear muffs on to shoot him. But these are just my preferences and people have different tastes.

Two of my guns have Muzzle brakes and I hunt with them, they are horrible to shoot off a tree stand. I don’t wear ear protection hunting. but with a brake you almost have to.

6 Likes

.338 Spectre with 300gr loads is subsonic in an AR, but still hits fairly hard.

If my memory isn’t off, gel tests with 300gr Sierra Match Kings showed evidence of the bullet beginning to tumble about 2 inches after entering the gell, but still being able to pass through 24 inches of gell plus the plywood that was behind the gel block to hold it in place.

Bit of a pain to have to buy 10mm Mag brass from Starline and then reform it to .338 Spectre brass, though. And those .338 Sierra Match Kings are not something you buy without eating into the budget. One of these days I’ll get around to ordering a barrel and the dies. May have to order a bolt, since I think my spare 6.8SPC bolt got taken by a 6.8SPCII project.

4 Likes

Actually, no. Content creators who put out useful information, education and demos, such as yourself, Ghost, Mike(Budget), Etc. You guys are exactly what I try and support. I won’t name names, but there are plenty of people that make videos of their next new toy and then end it with how much all the weapons and ammo cost so they can do 5 minute videos shooting steel targets. You don’t get any info about the firearm or the ammo, just; “here’s the new gun, let’s see how it shoots”. Those guys are totally transparent. Look at your videos, or Ghosts Canik video comes to mind. They provide information, demo, and real thoughts about the gun. Ghosts video got me to buy a Canik TP9SF, great gun. I’m not the guy who screams that everyone is an e begger. I am someone who is a very good judge of people and their motives. Yes, I think there are a lot of guys with their hands out purely to expand their personal collections and pay for their range time, and I unsubscribed or just don’t watch them. I watch You, Ghost, Budget, Sometimes Gizzard, and Sometimes MidnightRange. I watch Kotaboy, Guns & Gadgets, and TarDot/GPB. Lots of really good info out there, but also a lot of worthless used car salesmen.

2 Likes

Sounds spot on there!!!

2 Likes

Great info

2 Likes

I think the popularity and growth in the suppressor market has sparked an I want to shoot quiet movement. With more people shooting at home it’s nice to go plink without making the neighbors mad. Also shooting subsonic with new shooters and kids is awesome. Subs in an ar15 are still loud at the ear and not a favorite of mine but in a bolt or single shot it’s some of my favorite. With more companies like discrete ballistics making high expanding subs it’s becoming also practical to hunt with in close ranges.

5 Likes

i have a pair of electronic ear plugs, a bit pricey but work great for hunting as they also amplify sounds which is nice

2 Likes

i would not doubt the tumble at all, i have seen many subsonic rounds do massive damage with a fierce tumble on entry… my coyote load does just that, no enough to exit usually but makes an internal mess for sure

2 Likes

yup, agree with all those you mention, good guys and you are absolutely right about one thing that annoys the bejesus out of me… being able to discerne between those that are genuine people and those who are just wannabe movie stars that really care nothing about what they do or who engages with them… unless of course it benefits them. sorta like this forum, how many FULL30 channels you see here posting? exactly. now some will say, hey, but they are SO busy, they don’t have time. being on the inside i say bull, if they cared they would find time. MAN, you got me going on a big pet peeve of mine, dang you! point to this is, don’t put internet personalities up on a pedestal, don’t put actors up on a pedestal, they/we are doing nothing that someone else could not do given the resources and time… and maybe even do it better which is why i always advocate that everyone put some type of content out there, you never know.

3 Likes

I can’t do much content personally, other than my cooking stuff and unboxing or mail calls. I only have 2 ranges within an hour that I can shoot at and both frown on video. I have done gun videos that YT took down and did one video at Western Michigan University of our 2A table that we do every month, but it was also taken down because of a complaint. And of course, then there are people like the Orange guy, who wanted to complain about my videos not being formatted to his liking, but when I asked how to correct it, I got no response. People think we all have hours and hours to spend learning to make better videos. I am a 24/7 Caretaker for my 80 yr old handicapped and blind mother, plus run my business as I can. I try and do what I can, but I am new to the video thing and creating content. I want to put stuff up that is useful, not ego feeding garbage.:laughing: I usually like to watch the live chats and just keep my mouth shut…not always possible,. That’s why I watch your shows that talk about creating content, I learn from them.

2 Likes

I got into suppressors a few years back after shooting with a buddy of mine. I specifically went the 300 blackout route because it didn’t take much to use an existing AR set up I had laying around. I then went to pistol w/ the suppressor in a bedside set up. I also have a hunting set up after seeing my buddy take three really nice deer within 45 minutes of getting in the stand with his.

JPN, you can find 338 Spectre factory brass from a company called SBR Ammunition. I even still have a fair bit of it left over from when I ran a shop. I just like 300 blackout so much that I never even bothered to work up an upper. Two of my former customers love it to death and kept urging me to finally get one.

7 Likes

:+1: I love suppressed shooting with the grandkids and they love it too. They get to shoot grandpas “big guns” and don’t end up with flinches. Big for them is the 300 BO and 9mm P226.

5 Likes

I would say no criminal would laugh at a 220 grain bullet at 1000 fps hitting them in the chest…

5 Likes

Yup, that’s what my 44 does :grin:

2 Likes

If only the 44 was as versatile…

4 Likes