Do black powder cartridge blasters count as firearms

So in the USA black powder guns don’t count as firearms under the law? So does that include firearms that use black powder in a the metal cartridge?

And by that same standard does that mean that modern semi automatic handgun’s that are loaded with black powder would not be considered firearms either?

Please assume for the sake of discussion that you know what you’re doing and you’re not gonna blow up your pistol.

In West Virginia a convicted felon can hunt with a bow or black powder rifle/pistol…I would assume a brass cased black powder shotgun would fall into that category since it still uses black powder…

Only if the firearm can only “shoot” black powder.
Once you convert a black powder pistol (like a colt revolver) it is considered a firearm.
Not 100% sure on the shotguns. I do not know of anyone still shooting a muzzle loader shotgun.
Because it is not the " black powder" that defines the weapon, it is the muzzle loading aspect.

Here in Missouri our laws state that they have to load from the muzzle and use powder and bullets not contained in a cartridge.

I think most states are that way. Not sure… I only have lived in 3 different states.

What if you take a modern firearm and then load the cartridges with black powder? I’ve seen people shooting Glock‘s with black powder. They’re very reliable so it worked fine. Would they permit that or is that considered the same is a standard gun powder automatic Glock?

Or for example, wild west guns that use black powder, but they have cartridges. Such as the Schoefield.

Or wild west guns that were originally cap and ball, but they have modern conversions offered, such as Remington 1858 Navy revolvers. Remington offers a cylinder that can take cases. Just load the case with black powder, and it’s still an old gun.

It is a cartridge, so it is a firearm… not a “black powder” weapon.

If memory serves, the rule is a cartridge gun manufactured before 1898 is considered black powder. Not a replica. Not a copy. A firearm ACTUALLY made before 1898. There is zero way to skirt background checks, tracablitiy, or, for example, felony bans, by loading a modern firearm with black powder.

Muzzle loading guns are a different thing, altogether.

Pre 1899 cartridge arms are considered antique under federal law and exempt from GCA’68. This does not exempt automatic weapons. Any cartridge firing arm made after 1898 is subject to GCA’68. Muzzle loading weapons, cap/ball revolvers etc are not firearms under federal law. There was a time when ATF tried to regulate muzzleloaders which used a 209 shotshell primer, but they lost that one.

montzster is correct.
And the reason Pawn shops need a FFl License to buy and sell guns made after 1898.

Agree with above, any weapon that shoots a cartridge is considered a firearm, unless it was grandfathered in prior to 1900. Muzzle loading weapons are not considered firearms.