Do you like Winter?

Will sonny bump this thread in three years?

5 Likes

We don’t get the snow like we used to, I enjoyed sledding and playing in it as a kid. i’m old and cantankerous now and I don’t want no snow. mostly what we get is ice now.

7 Likes

Sonny will be bumped in 3 years.

6 Likes

Tuesday had a slight storm come through mostly wind but some snow, like 140 cars from different wrecks on the interstate just inside Washington state. It’s like, hey can we still drive 70mph in this slick stuff. :facepalm:

6 Likes

…So your claustrophobic! That’s all that means LOL!

7 Likes

He can’t keep his mental disorders straight he has so many to keep track of

4 Likes

I busted ass the last 2 days getting the generator working and have been using it the last 4 hours or so

8 Likes

If it’s not too cold, I don’t mind as long as I’m bundled up. My fingers and toes still tend to get cold, though, no matter how much I bundle up.

I can stand the heat and humidity better, but if it’s too hot and I’m out in the sun with no shade, my energy drains real fast, even while hydrating. But it’s not so much the heat and humidity that bothers me as much as it is the biting bugs. I’ve lived in both extreme heat climates, hot and humid and brutally hot and dry.

In the humid climates of Florida, Puerto Rico, Texas and the Gulf coast, I always manage to get bit by chiggers, biting gnats, fleas, deer fly, spiders and mosquitoes. I’ve brushed off ticks and scorpions but haven’t gotten bit by them as far as I know. Some kind of bite, what I suspect to be a spider bite, put me in the hospital for a few days one time.

By contrast, when I lived in the California desert south of Death Valley and about an hour west of Yuma, I never saw any bugs, just flies. But in the summer time it was routinely well over 110 degrees, rarely dipping below 100 at night. That kind of heat was the life and death kind of heat. The two summers I experienced there saw a few folks who died from heat stroke or dehydration. The locals told me to always keep a gallon of water in my car in case it would break down so I could prevent dehydration or heat stroke. One time it got up to 124 degrees! Felt like an oven whenever I’d go outside. Cars would routinely overheat (mine did constantly). And even heavy duty air conditioners would break down. They just couldn’t handle the extreme heat. The joke was that locals who died and went to hell would come back to grab a blanket and coat because they weren’t used to how cold it was down there - lol.

Not sure what’s worse - the brutal heat or freezing cold.

7 Likes

I’ve never been in cold so extreme that I couldn’t dress for it and stay warm, but I’ve been in heat where I couldn’t remove enough clothes to stay cool.

One winter ('80 or '81) I was chopping trees for a gent who yarded the logs with horses. It was -35°F and I was much younger and far more fit those 4 decades ago. I would strip my upper layers down to just a long john top and I was sweating and steaming as much as the horses. When I took more than a 5 minute break I’d have to put the layers back on again. That was interesting! Don’t even think of mouth breathing. Now what does one do in extreme heat other than find water to douse oneself with and that doesn’t really work with high humidity unless the water is cold.

6 Likes

Lucky bastard! 51 & rain here… :confounded:

6 Likes

you got power?

6 Likes

Yes, I guessing you do not? hopefully you have wood Heat?

6 Likes

nope, didn’t get that set up yet, pellets and propane both running of the generator since 8:30

7 Likes

That sucks! May want to make the wood burner a priority…

7 Likes

35 with a 40 mph wind here.

6 Likes

Stay safe and warm gents!

5 Likes

lol, you don’t know what I started with

5 Likes

Im guessing you started from scratch?

6 Likes

just an embryo

end of june we bought some chairs,

8 Likes

I see the problem, you’re spending all the money feeding that huge dog.

10 Likes